2GB emmc, what is recommended development image?

I have a non RevC (2GB emmc) BBB. I tried the debian image, but noticed that it left very little space available. So I am looking for a linux image that will be maintained (I ssh in, console based) to do some c++ and PRU development.

Is this Angstrom 2013.09.04 image for download (production image) the one to use? Or is there another alternative? I would like ro use Debian, but it used up like 94% or more.

There is a bare and/or netinstall image available, or at least the tools to build it in the RCN git repo on github that I’ve been looking at. I really wish that when new images are released that the bare images would be built along side and released as a smaller alternative to the bloated full desktop images that fill the whole thing. Hopefully Robert can reply as to the easiest way to obtain or build the smaller images he already has pretty much laid out such that they may be used as an alternative base.

Eric

I have a non RevC (2GB emmc) BBB. I tried the debian image, but noticed that it left very little space available. So I am looking for a linux image that will be maintained (I ssh in, console based) to do some c++ and PRU development.

Is this Angstrom 2013.09.04 image for download (production image) the one to use? Or is there another alternative? I would like ro use Debian, but it used up like 94% or more.

That’s just the full out of box debian experience image.

You can easily remove packages, or use this alternate image. Which the official image was built in.

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian#Flasher

Regards,

There is a bare and/or netinstall image available, or at least the tools to build it in the RCN git repo on github that I’ve been looking at. I really wish that when new images are released that the bare images would be built along side and released as a smaller alternative to the bloated full desktop images that fill the whole thing. Hopefully Robert can reply as to the easiest way to obtain or build the smaller images he already has pretty much laid out such that they may be used as an alternative base.

Hi Eric,

I update these about once a month. Does it meet your minimal? Just enough is installed to get network access enabled.

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian#Flasher

Regards,

I will take a look at it. I stumbled before on getting the c++ and DTS setup for the PRU development on the board. I guess I was missing what exactly I had to install to get that setup to do some of the examples.

Search the groups here Charles, there is quite a bit of talk on the PRU lately. Also Charles S. has MachineKit I think it is called ? I’ve seen him tell people they can review his code to get and idea how it all works.

As for Development environment ? Make your own using Roberts "from scratch instructions ?

http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black

Using these instructions I’ve got a freshly built custom kernel, and a file system that is ~137MB in size. It will definitely grow, but it wont be anywhere near 1Gb let alone 2.

http://debian.beagleboard.org/images/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.5-2014-05-14-2gb.img.xz - 470MB

and
https://rcn-ee.net/deb/flasher/wheezy/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.5-2014-05-15-2gb.img.xz - 153MB

are indeed different.

could the naming convention used in each place be differentiated so one knows what they are getting? I.E. BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.5-YYYY-MM-DD-size-type.img.xz with type being descriptive such as bare, netinst, console, GNOME, KDE, BLOAT, MORE-BLOAT, BIGGER-BLOAT, kitchen-sink, every-existing-debian-package-preinstalled, and somewhere in there “will-no-longer-fit”! Might the smaller images be also made available / linked to on beagleboard.org? The images offered on beagleboard.org may make a good 5 minute demo but they are so stuffed

that after doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on a new image one is left with somewhere in the 10-20MB range. try to install anything for real work like lm-sensors & i2c tools and you end up with no space left on device. forget about even thinking about installing what you need to play mp3 or video files. The smaller images really are needed, and adding a type field to the naming would be really helpful, as well as letting people know where images can be had of the type needed for their use. Those working mostly over serial and ssh really don’t get much benefit from the graphical desktop and all the software it requires, thus a smaller image is extremely useful.

Thanks,

Eric

http://debian.beagleboard.org/images/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.5-2014-05-14-2gb.img.xz
- 470MB
and

https://rcn-ee.net/deb/flasher/wheezy/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.5-2014-05-15-2gb.img.xz
- 153MB
are indeed different.

could the naming convention used in each place be differentiated so one
knows what they are getting? I.E.
BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.5-YYYY-MM-DD-size-type.img.xz with type being
descriptive such as bare, netinst, console, GNOME, KDE, BLOAT, MORE-BLOAT,
BIGGER-BLOAT, kitchen-sink, every-existing-debian-package-preinstalled, and
somewhere in there "will-no-longer-fit"! Might the smaller images be also
made available / linked to on beagleboard.org?

Sure, I can rename them "lxde" and "console". One of the issues for
me on getting them on beagleboard.org. TI/beagle people like to verify
it, so they take a day or two. The images on rcn-ee.net are merely
monthly snapshots, i do boot test them, but if we find an issue, it
usually has to wait till the next month. (although it's been pretty
regression free as of late)

The images offered on
beagleboard.org may make a good 5 minute demo but they are so stuffed
that after doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on a new image one is
left with somewhere in the 10-20MB range. try to install anything for real
work like lm-sensors & i2c tools and you end up with no space left on

i2c tools should be installed by default. :wink:

device. forget about even thinking about installing what you need to play
mp3 or video files. The smaller images really are needed, and adding a type
field to the naming would be really helpful, as well as letting people know
where images can be had of the type needed for their use. Those working
mostly over serial and ssh really don't get much benefit from the graphical
desktop and all the software it requires, thus a smaller image is extremely
useful.

Another thing, we could start purging the "man" pages and other things
under /usr/share/ but those built-in stuff is one of the nice things
about debian.

and if you don't use chromium, that's 100Mb right there.

Regards,

You want to know a really cool thing about all this ? You can take one of the premade images that is whatever . . . wipe the rootfs paritition, and replace it with Roberts bare-fs rootfs. Viola, ~64MB BBB.

After that add whatever you want via apt-get install . . .

For me personally with just base needs and openssh-server, my rootfs sits at about 137MB in size. There are still some other thing I want to add, which will probably at least double the size, but still . . .

I should point out however, at least last time I checked that bare-fs does not come with openssh-server as I kind of hinted at above. So you will need access to the serial debug terminal at least to install a ssh server . . .

Yeah, i took out everything not required to run "dpkg/apt-get" so it's
pretty bare. :wink:

In the process i found out dpkg relies on a huge perl package. As
that's about the biggest package in that image.

Regards,

Robert, one thing I have been kind of wondering that perhaps I should know( which I do not ). What is the package that hmm I do not really know how to describe it . . . ok like if you issue the command;

here’s a neat search tool I just learned about:

https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents

lets you search packages by their conternts.

going there, and searching for dpkg-reconfigure shows the packages that contain it. it liiks like you’re looking for debconf or maybe cdebconf. configure-debian looks like another hit that may take this a step further.

Eric

I think its deb-conf, but not sure. this is something I should know, but … dont.

http://debian.beagleboard.org/images/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.5-2014-05-14-2gb.img.xz

• 470MB
    and

https://rcn-ee.net/deb/flasher/wheezy/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.5-2014-05-15-2gb.img.xz

• 153MB
    are indeed different.

could the naming convention used in each place be differentiated so one
knows what they are getting? I.E.
BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.5-YYYY-MM-DD-size-type.img.xz with type being
descriptive such as bare, netinst, console, GNOME, KDE, BLOAT, MORE-BLOAT,
BIGGER-BLOAT, kitchen-sink, every-existing-debian-package-preinstalled, and
somewhere in there “will-no-longer-fit”! Might the smaller images be also
made available / linked to on beagleboard.org?

Sure, I can rename them “lxde” and “console”. One of the issues for
me on getting them on beagleboard.org. TI/beagle people like to verify
it, so they take a day or two. The images on rcn-ee.net are merely
monthly snapshots, i do boot test them, but if we find an issue, it
usually has to wait till the next month. (although it’s been pretty
regression free as of late)

If they’re built from the same base as it looks like they are then generally missing software has no additional bugs or in the case of must haves can be added or updated afterwards.

The images offered on
beagleboard.org may make a good 5 minute demo but they are so stuffed
that after doing apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on a new image one is
left with somewhere in the 10-20MB range. try to install anything for real
work like lm-sensors & i2c tools and you end up with no space left on

i2c tools should be installed by default. :wink:

hmm, I don’t think I found some of the utilities that should have been there… no matter, trying to install that after doing an upgrade (which upgraded a total of 4 packages) put me into no space left territory ans someone really may want to play with media files which there’s not enough space left for installing even a basic player or 2.

device. forget about even thinking about installing what you need to play
mp3 or video files. The smaller images really are needed, and adding a type
field to the naming would be really helpful, as well as letting people know
where images can be had of the type needed for their use. Those working
mostly over serial and ssh really don’t get much benefit from the graphical
desktop and all the software it requires, thus a smaller image is extremely
useful.

Another thing, we could start purging the “man” pages and other things
under /usr/share/ but those built-in stuff is one of the nice things
about debian.

and if you don’t use chromium, that’s 100Mb right there.

the man pages are nice and really don’t take much space so I’d vote for keeping them (for that which remains installed). anything that requires X to run along with X itself can go, but I realize others may want that so differen’t images for differing needs I guess. I look forward to getting the smaller image installed.

actually, for lack of hitting send immediately, I’m using the https://rcn-ee.net/deb/flasher/wheezy/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.5-2014-05-15-2gb.img.xz image and it’s pretty sweet. only a couple hunderd MB used with lots of space left (as it should be). The network even works with dhclient preinstalled and running on eth0 so it gets assigned an address on my network via dhcp and I can ssh in. Couple things I noticed as being different though. first off one has to login as Debian:temppwd (no root login, and password required), sudo must be used (which one should probably do anyway), and reboot/shutdown/halt/poweroff are all missing (probably for lack of the systemd package) so the only means to reboot the machine is via pulling the power plug (or possibly pressing reset which I didn’t think of until just now…) both of which require physical access to the machine.

Eric

definitive answer:

it’s already there… part of the debconf package… somehow the path misses it.

try:

sudo /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

works like a charm.

seems reboot, shutdown, halt, and poweroff are there as well (found in sbin) but the path again misses those as well. yea, no need for systemd (though I’m certainly not opposed to it for consistency sake with the larger demo image that gets posted. thus far Ive installed 3 packages I use often, “less, screen, configure-debian & bash-completion”, but no big deal that they are not there though I’d love to see them included. All in all great job on a small extremely usable debian image! It’s what ought be offered as standard as it’s so much easier to add what you want and need then to remove what you don’t. just a couple tweaks as mentioned and it’s ideal.

Thanks Robert!

Eric

actually, for lack of hitting send immediately, I'm using the
image and it's pretty sweet. only a couple hunderd MB used with lots of
space left (as it should be). The network even works with dhclient
preinstalled and running on eth0 so it gets assigned an address on my
network via dhcp and I can ssh in. Couple things I noticed as being
different though. first off one has to login as Debian:temppwd (no root
login, and password required),

Yeap, out of the box it's a little more secure via personal
preference. The beagleboard.org image has root enabled by default to
help transition people from Angstrom..

You can get root back by:

sudo passwd root

(to disable)
sudo passwd -l root

I blanked out the root password, ssh, sudo/etc via:

https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder/blob/master/target/chroot/beagleboard.org.sh#L456

sudo must be used (which one should probably
do anyway), and reboot/shutdown/halt/poweroff are all missing (probably for

They exist, it's just that a normal user doesn't have /sbin/ in the
path, i patched the bb.org image with:

So, "sudo reboot" works, but "reboot" doesn't.

lack of the systemd package) so the only means to reboot the machine is via
pulling the power plug (or possibly pressing reset which I didn't think of
until just now....) both of which require physical access to the machine.

Regards,

This image is as it should be then as one really ought not be doing system reconfiguration and reboots as a mere mortal user (I certainly don’t want my users doing these things!)… but one gets used to the image they’ve been using. Thanks again for the work you put into this. I, most definately, and most of the community individually owe and ought buy you a beer (or whatever your taste may be) given the opportunity. (same goes for Gerald and others on this list that stand out as being helpful and making this all work for the greater community)

Eric

btw, is there a non-flasher version of https://rcn-ee.net/deb/flasher/wheezy/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.5-2014-05-15-2gb.img.xz available or what happens if I put this image into a board (white) that has no eMMC onboard? just how badly will it barf and what exactly do I end up with?

Eric