A slightly off topic query

My apologies for an off topic discussion. But I am not sure where to find an answer for this topic; its regarding the European standards for RoHS compliance. The user manual for the Beagle board states that

“This evaluation board/kit does not fall within the scope of the European Union directives regarding electromagnetic compatibility, restricted substances (RoHS), recycling (WEEE), FCC, CE or UL, and therefore may not meet the technical requirements of these directives or other related directives.”

Does this imply that evaluation board/kit generally do not fall under this category and one can sell/distribute evaluation boards which are not RoHS complaint. From the http://www.rohs.gov.uk/Docs/Links/RoHS%20Regs%20Guidance%20-%2021%20June%202006.pdf it is not very clear. May be there have been some modifications to the document which I am not aware of. This document is reasonably old.

Could anyone please shed more light on this topic and help me clarify my doubt? Are all evaluation/development/educational kits exempted from these restriction?

Thanks in advance.

Beagle is 100% leadfree and is ROHS compliant, but has not been oficially tested to all of the standards as the BeagleBoard. In other words the monies have not been paid. However, the EBV board has passed all of the CE tests. It is the same as the Beagle and is built in the same factory, but has a different color and name.

Gerald

Thanks Gerald for the information; but I guess my question still does get answered as to whether evaluation kits are exempted from compliance. http://www.rohs.gov.uk/FAQs.aspx#23 says some kits are exempted but does clearly mention. I am unable to interpret the other link present there :frowning: as it is in a language I don’t comprehend.

Typically they are indeed because compliance cannot be guaranteed when the user can modify and experiment with such devices which means the maker of the device cannot be responsible for continued compliance. All you have to do is hang a wire off of it and start generating EMI. That is what the language is for. For example, on the TI EVMs, they all have the same wording and have not been tested per all the different agencies. TI has been doing this for decades.

Gerald

Yes, makes lot of sense.