about GSOC Project

Goal is to add 40+ examples using (collectively) each of SPI, I2C, PWM, ADC, GPMC, I2S and CAN including Fritzing diagram, basic assembly/execution instructions and demo code that shows successful data transfer.

Are you able to check out the existing examples? I am copying many to BeagleBoard.org - BoneScript and that is where your examples would be hosted.

We need to pick a number of devices to interface with and set define what needs to be done on the code side. "adding examples" sounds too much like a documentation task, which GSoC doesn't allow.

Some ideas:

SPI: read a sensor using spidev, write the webgui for it
PWM: create a pan/tilt thing with 2 servos and a webcam, make a webgui
ADC: read out a potentiometer, integrate that as a control (e.g. volume for hdmi audio, screen brightness)

etc.

40+ examples would be too much, that's more than an example per day!

We need to pick a number of devices to interface with and set define what needs to be done on the code side. “adding examples” sounds too much like a documentation task, which GSoC doesn’t allow.

I think executable documentation would be tolerable, but I agree that it is better to make the executable web pages more of a test case than the primary output. I’ll try to follow up on the submissions to make sure they include patches to bonescript itself, not just bone101, to actually add new functionality.

Some ideas:

SPI: read a sensor using spidev, write the webgui for it
PWM: create a pan/tilt thing with 2 servos and a webcam, make a webgui
ADC: read out a potentiometer, integrate that as a control (e.g. volume for hdmi audio, screen brightness)

These are all great ideas. spidev as well as i2c-dev interfaces (for devices without Linux drivers seem like obvious first choices).

Creating system bindings for aspects like HDMI audio volume seems like a great next priority.

Many of the other integration examples can be “stretch goals” and should be easy for the student to perform in addition to the three primary tasks noted above (integration of spidev, i2c-dev and audio volume into Bonescript with documentation of functions in the live-gui format).

Koen, Thanks for the guidance.

All possible mentors, Please let me know if these modifications help open this task up to other possible primary mentors. Please realize that the JavaScript library is primarily simply a way to document using Linux and you don’t have to love JavaScript to mentor this project.