After doing "opkg upgrade", lost my /dev/ttyUSB0

I have a Beaglebone Black running Angstrom and I use it to run a home control program (heyu) among other things. That program was communicating with an X-10 interface through an FTDI USB to serial adapter on /dev/ttyUSB0. I recently did an “opkg upgrade”. It ran for a very long time, gave me many errors, mainly “web page not found”. When it was done, I rebooted and I had lost /dev/ttyUSB0. When I do an “lsusb”, I get “Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC” as before but /dev/ttyUSB0 does not get created anymore. What did I break with the upgrade and how can I fix it?

Hi. From what I read you shouldn’t do a opkg upgrade. Just opkg update then manually update just the packages you need. 1 you’ll run out of space and two things may break. To do a full update just grab the latest image files from the download site as they are published.

A.J.

Hi Albert and thanks for the reply. You are absolutely right: I ran out of space and things broke. I did it because the documentation suggested to do it first thing. Of course I could reinstall the latest image but then I would have to reinstall and reconfigure ntp, samba, heyu and more. I am hoping someone can tell me how Linux handles USB serial ports and how to fix the current problem.

Yves