AI 64 froze after using the latest image

I downloaded the latest AI64 board image which automatically loads the OS into eMMC. I burned the image into micro SD and inserted into the SD card slot of AI64. After powering it on, the LEDs were scrolling left and right indicating that the image is being transferred into eMMC. After the transfer is done, the bottom LED (Wkup UART0) was lit. Then I removed SD Card and the power and applied the power again. Nothing happens, the bottom LED is lit only. I wanted boot from the SD card, but only the bottom LED stays lit. The AI64 is now totally unresponsive.

I even tried holding BOOT + RST button and applying power then releasing the RST. Waited for lights to turn on, only the bottom LED stays on. I released the BOOT button, no change.

How can I get AI64 to respond again ? Thanks.

Mansur

What was the file name of that image?

Regards,

[TDA4VM Debian 11.3 2022-06-14 16GB eMMC XFCE Flasher]
(https://debian.beagle.cc/images/bbai64-emmc-flasher-debian-11.3-xfce-arm64-2022-06-14-10gb.img.xz)

Yeap, lots of fixes, since then… changes to the eeprom, memory fixes for stablity, etc…

Regards,

how do i boot from sd card again? holding boot + rst does not do it? is there any other way?

eMMC is red on startup… So you need to do:

• Insert microSD
  • Hold Reset & Boot
  • Plug-in Power
  • Lift off Reset
  • Wait for Led
  • Lift off Boot

Regards,

I held the boot + rst button and then plugged in power. The bottom LED lit as before. No other activity on the LED is noticed. I held it for several minute then let go the boot. Didn’t boot. Cannot ping or ssh to debian@192.168.7.2

Try a different SD card, some of those cards are flat out junk. I bought some 64 Gb ones factory sealed and appeared legitimate. None of them work. 32 Gb from same company and they work.
Also make sure to eject the SD card from host, not just remove it.

No luck. Followed your instructions. The same SD card boot from beaglebone black. Any other ideas?

The Boot ROM on the BBAI64, only scan’s the boot button after reset.

How are you powering the board? USB-C or 5VDC adapter? do you have anything plugged into the board?

Currently your board is booting of eMMC, the only way to force it back to microSD is the technique i listed above.

I’d say try again with this image:

https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2022-12-01/bullseye-minimal-arm64/bbai64-emmc-flasher-debian-11.5-minimal-arm64-2022-12-01-4gb.img.xz

(it’ll also auto-flash the eMMC)…

Use balenaEtcher - Flash OS images to SD cards & USB drives to write it to the microSD…

and try

• Insert microSD
  • Hold Reset & Boot
  • Plug-in Power
  • Lift off Reset
  • Wait for Led
  • Lift off Boot

again…

Regards,

1 Like

I had the same issue but this solved it for me.

1. Flash the sdcard with the Bullseye 11.3 flasher image.
  2. Issue the following commands after flashing.
  1. Follow the normal procedure for booting from sdcard.
  2. Voila!

Thanks Robert, v11.5 image which you provided did boot and i was able to flash the emmc. But, there is no hdmi output. Does this image have graphical desktop ?

Hi @soalib very stange, a console prompt should at-least show up on the hdmi screen…

You can grab the latest xfce image from here: Debian 11.x (Bullseye) - Monthly Snapshots (ARM64)

Regards,