Android software buttons are missing

I recently got tasked with getting Android working on the Beagleboard xm with the xm lcd7 touchscreen. A well documented problem is that the display resolution is too high and mirrored when you boot up android with this screen. Also touch does not work. I remedied the display issues by altering my bootargs which mirrors the display and changes the resolution to 800x480. When this is done the three Android software buttons (back, home, running apps) are no longer visibile. Does anyone know how to get them back? I will worry about the touchscreen for later.

The bootargs are:
setenv bootargs ‘omapfb.mirror=y console=ttyO2,115200n8 androidboot.console=ttyO2 mem=256M root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootfstype=ext4 rootwait init=/init ip=off omap_vout.vid1_static_vrfb_alloc=y vram=8M omapfb.vram=0:8M omapdss.def_disp=dvi omapfb.mode=dvi:800x480-24’

any help is appreciated

I guess “no touchscreen” means “no osd buttons” for Android. Fix the touch first

I recently got tasked with getting Android working on the Beagleboard xm with the xm lcd7 touchscreen. A well documented problem is that the display resolution is too high and mirrored when you boot up android with this screen. Also touch does not work. I remedied the display issues by altering my bootargs which mirrors the display and changes the resolution to 800x480. When this is done the three Android software buttons (back, home, running apps) are no longer visibile. Does anyone know how to get them back? I will worry about the touchscreen for later.

Android does not display the NavBar by default for ‘low’ resolutions like 800x480. You need to force it in the build. Refer the following post on rowboat:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/rowboat/_9IYwTL4y84/discussion

-Vishveshwar

I downloaded your patches and ran ‘patch -p1 0001-am335x-Enable-soft-navigation-bar.path’ on the top level directory of the source which I got from TI’s Android Dev site. I downloaded the am335x source code. When I run the patch as explained above the terminal just hangs there. What am I doing wrong?

I downloaded your patches and ran 'patch -p1 0001-am335x-Enable-soft-navigation-bar.path' on the top level directory of the source which I got from TI's Android Dev site
<http://software-dl.ti.com/dsps/dsps_public_sw/sdo_tii/TI_Android_DevKit/TI_Android_JB_4_1_2_DevKit_4_0_1/index_FDS.html>. I downloaded the am335x source code. When I run the patch
as explained above the terminal just hangs there. What am I doing wrong?

Missing input redirection? The command is normally:
   patch -p1 <0001-am335x-Enable-soft-navigation-bar.path