Angstrom beagle demo kernel 2.6.28-r12 crashes

Hi folks.

This is closely related to a post I made to the Angstrom-users mailing
list, so if you've seen it before I apologise in advance.

Attempting to get audio working similar to Tim's post here:
http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/browse_thread/thread/73413049f2e5c59a/fa7c31cbe344fa8d?lnk=gst&q=audio+recording+on+Angstrom#fa7c31cbe344fa8d

The beagle demo Angstrom distribution sourced from here:

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/demo/beagleboard/

Let's me record and playback audio no trouble. Steve Sakoman
mentioned in a post somewhere in the group that someone broke ALSA
recently. This would explain the issues I had trying to get audio
working nicely in the 2.6.27 kernel.

However -- this new kernel (uImage-2.6.28-r12-beagleboard.bin) (with
newest and 'opkg upgrade'd rootfs) hangs after outputting the
following line over serial:
Power Management for TI OMAP3.

At one point, I got kernel panic during initialisation -- at
approximately the same stage in boot. I'll attach the output below in
case it is useful to anyone (apologies if text appears awful, cannot
see anywhere to specify monospace font or 'code' tags either).
Regarding system stability; 2.6.27 kernel would run for weeks on my
beagle without being power-cycled. When it does successfully boot,
this 2.6.28-r12 uImage is very unstable -- becoming unresponsive after
an hour of idling. I have also observed that the usr0 & usr1 LEDs are
not operational in 2.6.28 (whereas they were in both 2.6.26 and 2.6.27
kernels -- usr1 is a 'heartbeat' and usr0 appears to be disk IO).

Any ideas about what is going on (source of hang) or suggestions for
fixes would be appreciated. I really need to get my beagle into a
state where the OS is stable and audio recording works. Currently not
in a position to build the kernel from scratch, but if that is what
needs to be done -- be good to know now so I can get on with it.

~Akram

Op 12 feb 2009, om 02:40 heeft adhameed@gmail.com het volgende geschreven:

Hi folks.

This is closely related to a post I made to the Angstrom-users mailing
list, so if you've seen it before I apologise in advance.

Attempting to get audio working similar to Tim's post here:
http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/browse_thread/thread/73413049f2e5c59a/fa7c31cbe344fa8d?lnk=gst&q=audio+recording+on+Angstrom#fa7c31cbe344fa8d

The beagle demo Angstrom distribution sourced from here:

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/demo/beagleboard/

Let's me record and playback audio no trouble. Steve Sakoman
mentioned in a post somewhere in the group that someone broke ALSA
recently. This would explain the issues I had trying to get audio
working nicely in the 2.6.27 kernel.

However -- this new kernel (uImage-2.6.28-r12-beagleboard.bin) (with
newest and 'opkg upgrade'd rootfs) hangs after outputting the
following line over serial:
Power Management for TI OMAP3.

I suspect that's due to your CPU not liking the MHz/voltage combo that uboot uses. Try (the recently updated) http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/demo/beagleboard/u-boot.bin

regards,

Koen

After a bit of messing around (flashing new x-loader into NAND and
letting it grab u-boot from the MMC) things appear to work.

Can record wave files using the command I mentioned above; can play it
back with aplay. System appears quite stable, however my ASIX based
USB ethernet device doesn't appear to work 100% -- that is to say,
after init the beagle has been given an address via DHCP and has
established correcting routing table, yet ping etc will fail with
'Network unreachable'. Issuing ifdown/ifup commands fixes this, but
is odd, no?

Here is init output for the udhcp stuff:

eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xCDE1
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
eth0 no wireless extensions.

udhcpc (v1.13.2) started
run-parts: /etc/udhcpc.d/00avahi-autoipd exited with code 1
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xCDE1
Sending discover...
Sending select for 192.168.1.121...
Lease of 192.168.1.121 obtained, lease time 432000
run-parts: /etc/udhcpc.d/00avahi-autoipd exited with code 1
adding dns 192.168.1.5
adding dns 192.168.1.108
done.

On a side note, mplayer does not appear to function correctly. Playing
an MP3 that worked a while back (2.6.26-r60 or so) results in
distorted audio that in no way resembles the track in question -- but
this is perhaps something for another thread...