Apologies if you’ve already been through this but I worked through using the
USB Belkin Wireless G adaptor this week and had some trouble so maybe
I can help…
First off I bought this as others I have don’t seem to work and this was
recommended as tested and working with the Beagleboard. The module
is an FD050xx. I had some confusion about which kernel modules I needed
as there seeems to be some misinformation floating around in Google, but
I found in the end I needed the rtl8187 driver. You’re probably best installing
all the kernel modules as other commentators have suggested.
With them opkg installed, and also wireless-tools and wpa_supplication
(as the WiFi adaptor I’m using is WPA-PSK secured) I think I had everything
I needed. I did add a load of packages in though until I had a working combination
so I might have missed something here.
At this point the USB adaptor was detected and usbcore registered an rtl8187
I went through using wpa_password to create a configuration file for the
wpa_password myessid > /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
here lies my passphrase < enter >
You might need to tidy up the .conf file as I ended up with some messaging
from the utility in there too.
Then I used wpa_supplicant (advice seemed to be to add to /etc/init.d/rcS but
that seemed a bit of a hack and sure enough you can uncomment what you need
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
NB. Leave the wpa-driver bit out (I think I added it from more internet posts)
as it isn’t used for this chipset and you’ll get PRISM errors - another chipset)
So that got me to the point that every now and again I could get the adaptor
to connect, but I was getting weird messages about the link not being ready
all the time. It seemed to be the type of thing you’d get with a signal strength
issue but after much hair-pulling I finally discovered there is a contention
between this mechanism and something ‘connmand’ was doing.
The suggestion was to disable execution on connman by issuing
chmod -x /etc/init.d/comman
Now I’m sure Koen will tut tut me as no doubt there is a better solution,
but it worked for me, and I’d spent enough time on this.