Angstrom opkg upgrade whacks DNS

FWIW,

I’ve heard about problems with reflash / opkg update / opkg upgrade sequence and experienced the phenomenon myself. I decided to try everything myself, watching carefully and not wandering off.

After doing a cautions reflash from the latest Angstrom eMMC image I booted the image and did a manual ‘ntpdate pool.ntp.org’ and then executed opkg update. Everything was dandy. I then did ‘shutdown now’. Fine again. Then I executed opkg upgrade and all seemed well until it got to the point in configuring things where a message appeared:

I checked the download address and there was nothing wrong with it. So I checked DNS on the BBB and it could not find a DNS server (I had been relying on DHCP from my router to relay DNS so far…). I edited /resolv.conf to use my router, and that fixed things.
Reissuing ‘opkg upgrade’ Things picked up immediately where they had left off , and continued to something like completeion.

The last few lines in the upgrade are:

Configuring netbase.
System startup links for /etc/init.d/networking already exist.
Configuring packagegroup-boot.
Configuring packagegroup-gnome-xserver-base.
Configuring angstrom-version.
Configuring angstrom-packagegroup-boot.
Configuring gateone.
WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/3.8.13/modules.order: No such file or directory
WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/3.8.13/modules.builtin: No such file or directory

which do not mean much to me. I don’t know how complete this upgrade is, or whether the two final warnings should concern me.

After a ‘shutdown now’, everything seems to have restarted properly.

NB: all commands have been executed as root, using ssh via putty. I am suspicious of the package installed just before kernel-module-irtty-sir. I think it hasd something to do with Python, but am not certain.

Dave