Angstrom Toolchain (32-bit) and Qt 5.2.x

I finally got the toolchain built with Qt for Angstrom for my 32bit Fedora 20 laptop. I built the test program as shown in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP7uvOu9hoQ) and I can build the executable on my laptop. I then copied the executable to the BBB and tried to execute it a received an error stating that the executable could not be located. I checked permissions and it had execute permissions. I then tried the “./” or dot-slash in front of the executable and receive the same error. I then realized the BBB does not come with Qt support installed so I tried the command “opkg install qt4-base” and was given the statement that not all of the dependencies could be resolved and that I should use the “–force-depends” flag to force the install. I noted the failed dependency pertained to the kernel version apparently I am running 3.8.x and the package depends on 3.2.x.

So now I am sitting through a “bitbake cloud9-gnome-image” build of Angstrom v2013.09 of which I will execute another “bitbake -c populate_sdk cloud9-gnome-image” of the same version. I want to build Qt v5.2.x for the toolchain and for the BBB. I have an idea as to how to build for the BBB but no idea as to how I might build and integrate Qt v5.2.x into the toolchain. Could someone please point me into the right direction?

Thanks in advance,
Dan Metcalf – KB3UUN

I finally got the toolchain built with Qt for Angstrom for my 32bit Fedora 20 laptop. I built the test program as shown in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP7uvOu9hoQ) and I can build the executable on my laptop. I then copied the executable to the BBB and tried to execute it a received an error stating that the executable could not be located. I checked permissions and it had execute permissions. I then tried the “./” or dot-slash in front of the executable and receive the same error. I then realized the BBB does not come with Qt support installed so I tried the command “opkg install qt4-base” and was given the statement that not all of the dependencies could be resolved and that I should use the “–force-depends” flag to force the install. I noted the failed dependency pertained to the kernel version apparently I am running 3.8.x and the package depends on 3.2.x.

So now I am sitting through a “bitbake cloud9-gnome-image” build of Angstrom v2013.09 of which I will execute another “bitbake -c populate_sdk cloud9-gnome-image” of the same version. I want to build Qt v5.2.x for the toolchain and for the BBB. I have an idea as to how to build for the BBB but no idea as to how I might build and integrate Qt v5.2.x into the toolchain. Could someone please point me into the right direction?

Hi Daniel,

To run QT, you will need SGX. I’m not sure you can get SGX running on the Angstrom V3.8 kernel, but I understand that the Yocto V3.8 kernel can be patched to run SGX:

http://e2e.ti.com/support/arm/sitara_arm/f/791/t/298596.aspx?pi239031349=1

Look for the patches from Andreas.

I worked with Robert Nelson to get SGX working on his V3.12 kernel and I have QT5.1.1 working on his Debian distribution. I explained the steps in a previous posting.

Regards,
John

John,

Thank you for the heads up. I will look for you previous posting.

John,

Thank you for the heads up. I will look for you previous posting.

Look for QT5.1.1 running on BeagleBoardBlack posted Dec 15.

John,

I finally got the image I want and the toolchain for v2013.06 built and installed. It really took some time to get everything figured out, built and installed. I am now ready to start working on the Qt again.

You mentioned I will need SGX. I have been looking at the sites you suggested and I think I am missing something. Is SGX some sort of graphics kernel module? Is this installed directly on the BBB after it is imaged or is this a patch applied to a recipe in the bitbake system to include SGX as part of a build?

DId you happen to document you steps to install the SGX module?

Thanks again for the help!

John,

I finally got the image I want and the toolchain for v2013.06 built and installed. It really took some time to get everything figured out, built and installed. I am now ready to start working on the Qt again.

You mentioned I will need SGX. I have been looking at the sites you suggested and I think I am missing something. Is SGX some sort of graphics kernel module? Is this installed directly on the BBB after it is imaged or is this a patch applied to a recipe in the bitbake system to include SGX as part of a build?

Hi Daniel,

SGX consists for both kernel modules, libraries and some scripts. Here is the info I posted early December.

Reply-To: <beagleboard@googlegroups.com>
Date: Thursday, December 26, 2013 at 9:39 AM
To: <beagleboard@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [beagleboard] Angstrom Toolchain (32-bit) and Qt 5.2.x

John,

Hi Daniel,

SGX consists for both kernel modules, libraries and some scripts. Here is the info I posted early December.

==========

My setup is as follows:

I followed this guide: http://tigraphics.blogspot.in/2013/11/4q-2013-linux-graphics-sdk-release.html

My BBB mounts the rootfs via NFS on my desktop using the folder targetNFS.

Kernel: git://git.ti.com/ti-linux-kernel/ti-linux-kernel.git
Branch: ti-linux-3.12.y
Apply SGX-DT-node.patch
Not sure why Robert Nelson’s kernel doesn’t work. Will investigate further.

This is no longer true. Robert Nelson has updated his v3.12 kernel so no patches are required.

RootFS: omap-image-builder
debian-7.2-machinekit-armhf

Graphics SDK: Graphics_SDK_5_00_00_01_hardfp
Update Make.rules
Desktop #>make BUILD=release OMAPES=8.x PM_RUNTIME=1 all
Desktop #>sudo make BUILD=release OMAPES=8.x PM_RUNTIME=1 install

This is no longer necessary. Run Robert Nelson’s SGX build script.

Thanks John!

The angstrom build system for v2013.06 builds kernel version 3.8.x. Seems like I have some work ahead of me.

You tried to run x86 executable on bbb which is arm?

I found the problem with the cross compiled executable not being recognized by the BeagleBone Black and it was all to easy to fix and it makes sense why it was not working.

There is something wrong with the way that the “bitbake meta-toolchain-qte” packages the sdk because when the compiler is executed after install it will immediately quit with a segmentation fault.
However if one where to go into the angstrom “setup-scripts/conf” folder and modify the local.conf file by commenting out “INHERIT += “rm_work”” by adding a “#” in front of it, the sources remain in the “setup-scripts/build/tmp-angstrom_v2013_06-eglibc/sysroots” folder and “setup-scripts/build/tmp-angstrom_v2013_06-eglibc/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/bin/armv7ahf-vfp-neon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc” executes without issue.

After finding and resolving this issue I following the steps located at the following: http://www.michaelhleonard.com/cross-compile-for-beaglebone-black/ to configure eclipse to use the tools that run without issue and created a simple hello-world project and built it. The resulting executable would not work on the beaglebone black as it was not recognized as a file. I believe the error message is referring to a dynamically linked library that is not in the same location on the beagle bone black as it is on my laptop. I then went back into the eclipse configuration and added “-static” to the linker options and recompiled. I was then able to successfully run the cross compiled executable on the beagle bone black.

On the Qt side I have copied the qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.2.0 to a microSD card and it is currently compiling. I had to pass in several command line parameters into the configure such as “-qt-xcb” and “-qreal float” and so far everything seems to be building okay. I will post again as things develop. Crossing my fingers that I will have Qt 5.2 running shortly.

Sounds very interesting, but where is this SGX build script located?

Anguel

Graphics SDK: Graphics_SDK_5_00_00_01_hardfp

Update Make.rules
Desktop #>make BUILD=release OMAPES=8.x PM_RUNTIME=1 all
Desktop #>sudo make BUILD=release OMAPES=8.x PM_RUNTIME=1 install

This is no longer necessary. Run Robert Nelson’s SGX build script.

Sounds very interesting, but where is this SGX build script located?

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/linux-dev/tree/am33x-v3.12

Thanks!

Anguel