Announcement: Debian 8.6 released for all boards

Thanks to Robert and the rest of the BeagleBoard.org community!

http://beagleboard.org/latest-images/

The above URL is now updated to Debian 8.6 (2016-11-06 builds). This is suitable for all boards and we’ll be pushing for manufacturers to update to this version as well (depending on the community feedback). This gets all the boards to a common base and will hopefully aide in community support. Older images are still archived and available via that page and previously shared links.

With a few more clean-ups, we can hopefully get more aggressive looking at the many new code developments we have on our plate.

Happy hacking!

Excellent! I’m glad the device trees made it in.

Is it possible to have an IOT image (preferably already set to flash) up there as well? I see debian.beagleboard.org/images/ still has the older IOT images.

Best,
James

Is there a way to update an existing BB to this version without re-flashing at all?

Is there a way to update an existing BB to this version without re-flashing at all?

You can run off of microSD.

You can also, depending on the age of your image, do ‘sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade’. You then might want to ‘cd /opt/scripts; sudo git pull; cd tools; sudo ./update_kernel.sh’.

That should update pretty much everything, but you should backup anything critical first if you have anything critical locally.

Shouldn't 'sudo apt-get do-release-upgrade' do what's wanted?

Try this:

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian

[-- text/plain, encoding quoted-printable, charset: UTF-8, 56 lines --]

You can run off of microSD.

You can also, depending on the age of your image, do 'sudo apt-get update;
sudo apt-get upgrade'. You then might want to 'cd /opt/scripts; sudo git
pull; cd tools; sudo ./update_kernel.sh'.

That should update pretty much everything, but you should backup anything
critical first if you have anything critical locally.

Shouldn't 'sudo apt-get do-release-upgrade' do what's wanted?

I don't believe the kernel will upgrade. Also, a dist-upgrade is only needed if you're still on 7.x and I think the command is slightly different.

Jason,

What’s the compelling reason for those of us who already have well established images to shift to this one ? Honestly, I can’t see one. Besides . . . apt-get upgrade . . .

It’s just the new default ‘latest’ image… The bbbw are going to have that version flashed in production.

Regards,

Can’t say I’m interested in the BBGW at_all. But I do think the BBG is pretty nice.

BeagleBone Black Wireless. Doesn’t have the hub or Grove connectors of the SeeedStudio BeagleBone Green Wireless, but is mechanically and electrically compatible with BeagleBone Black outside of swapping Ethernet for WiFi and miniUSB for microUSB. Big deal is it is the first production board using the Octavo OSD3358 and using EAGLE.

So, I've been seeing all kinds of issues with the wifi on the BBGW.
Additionally I've been told the wifi interface can not be reset through
software . . . Which if fact, is a huge omission. Which IMHO makes this
board nothing more than a toy.

I do agree that using the Octavo OSD3358 is a big deal. EAGLE . . . yeah I
do not personally design circuits. My buddy does, and refuses to use
anything other than Orcad. So rather moot from our perspective over here.

Anyway, I'd honestly prefer to just use a BBB or perhaps a BBG with a USB
wifi dongle that can be made reliable. Also, replacing the ethernet with
wifi while perhaps a cost "issue" is not something I'd like to see. I'd
like to see both types of interfaces on the same board. But if one had to
go, get rid of the wifi . . .

Just my 2 cents.

I’m a little bit afraid of updating and have moved backwards. I’ve had nothing but troubles with Jesse 8.6. Using a Rev B Beaglebone Black I have MicroSD cards with 7.8, 8.6 and the original Angstrom in the on board 2GB. IMHO LXQt sucks. I realize this isn’t the correct thread to discuss the problem of slow response on the Jesse version so please point me to a correct subject or topic. It’s frustrating to do web searches and reference books that all refer to 3.8. There’s almost nothing out with respect to support for 4.x. Almost like the Beagle isn’t being sold anymore and the Raspberry Pi (like VHS verses BetaMax) has won.

John

Option 1:

Install 3.8.x

cd /opt/scripts/tools/
git pull
sudo ./update_kernel.sh --bone-channel --stable

Option 2:

Go back to 7.8

Option 3:

Go back to Angstrom

Regards,

My apologies Robert,
I realize now after seeing your answer (sarcastic?) that the lack of a question mark at the end of the sentence left it as a statement rather than a question. So I’ll start with the question and then elaborate.

Under which forum topic should I post a question on how to get Debian 8.6 to interface correctly with the VNC so that I don’t get garbled characters with QtTerminal or any other Qt application?

The problem does not occur with Idle Lazarus or the non Qt Command Line Interface. The problem does not occur with the HDMI LCD touch screen display from Adafruit, USB keyboard and mouse. It appears to be with VNC and Windows Remote Desktop which means with headless operation.

The bone-debian-8.6-lxqt-4gb-armhf-2016-11-06-4gb.img appears to be more responsive than the previous 8.6 I was running.
Thank you
John Dammeyer

I don't think Robert was being Sarcastic. I think he was trying to tell you
if you don't like the Debian 8.6 image - Don't use it. Plus you didn't
start your own topic, but instead hijacked another. Additionally, what the
hell are you asking ? Your question is not remotely clear, at least not to
me.

Anyway, go make your own post, and post there. Give a few details as to
what's happening, then form a proper question. Lastly, this google group is
beagleboard.org, not RaspberryPI<whatever>.

Ah the vigilante police strike again with zero information and instead the usual “you’re an idiot for posting here comment”. I’m sorry you don’t understand this question. If you don’t have anything useful to post then please don’t. The forums on Beagles and Linux are littered with these vigilante comments of “answered before comments that in fact aren’t”

The Beagleboard.org group is clearly saying (and that Digikey will be shipping) Rev 8.6 in the near future. I’m saying there is a problem with 8.6 and that it’s not a good idea. A posting where 8.6 is announced is IMHO a good starting spot along with a clear request for a suggestion for a better subject heading.

Why not instead respond with “I tried vncserver with 8.6 with tightvnc on windows machine and didn’t get garbled characters with QTerminal”? But you didn’t. Instead you continued this thread with a chastising message that this isn’t a Pi Forum. Talk about hijacking a thread.

Good luck with getting help with your problem. Welcome to my ignore list.

It seems that there are only 4GB images, are there any way of installing new Debian 8.6 into old 2GB EMMC model?

"untested" --- it might fit in 2gb...

https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-01-15/lxqt-2gb/

Otherwise the console/iot:

https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-01-15/

(the iot says 4gb, but it should flash a 2gb eMMC)..

Regards,