Announcing $25 PocketBeagle

I ordered mine from Digikey on Sept 21st and it arrived Sept 23rd. Product is amazingly small and looks beautiful. I also like the plastic packaging. This is really a low cost BeagleBone Module. With this module, Developers can now make their own hardware without the need for fine pitch PCB layout skills.

Regards,
John

Any chance the RGB interface will still work over the headers? I realize (and appreciate) that the hdmi is gone but would like to use this for a video source application where we had been using the Beaglebone Black.

BR,

James H.

Out of the box, plugging the PB into a USB port a single blue LED turns on and nothing shows up on any PC connected to it.

Is there an OS pre-installed or do I have to use an image on microSD card to boot?
Will the USB show up as a serial device or do I have to hard wire the RX and TX pins to a USB TTL-232R-3V3 converter?
Can I use an OTG Micro USB adapter to plug in a USB ethernet device?

Out of the box, plugging the PB into a USB port a single blue LED turns on
and nothing shows up on any PC connected to it.

Is there an OS pre-installed or do I have to use an image on microSD card to
boot?

Nope, it's up to "you"...

Here's a fresh build:

https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-09-26/stretch-iot/bone-debian-9.1-iot-armhf-2017-09-26-4gb.img.xz

Will the USB show up as a serial device or do I have to hard wire the RX and
TX pins to a USB TTL-232R-3V3 converter?

Over the usb port, a usb ethernet and usb serial port will show up..

I don't have that configured yet..

Regards,

Any chance the RGB interface will still work over the headers?

No. USB and SPI are the best video/display options—or a custom PRU interface like LEDscape.

Out of the box, plugging the PB into a USB port a single blue LED turns on
and nothing shows up on any PC connected to it.

Is there an OS pre-installed or do I have to use an image on microSD card to
boot?

Nope, it's up to "you"...

Here's a fresh build:

https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-09-26/stretch-iot/bone-debian-9.1-iot-armhf-2017-09-26-4gb.img.xz

In addition to microSD, the SPI0, UART0 and USB0 interfaces are all boot sources. The node-beagle-boot and BeagleBoot projects will eventually work with PocketBeagle and could boot ramdisk images. They will also expose the device as USB flash storage with a microSD card inserted.

Will the USB show up as a serial device or do I have to hard wire the RX and
TX pins to a USB TTL-232R-3V3 converter?

Over the usb port, a usb ethernet and usb serial port will show up..

I don't have that configured yet..

I've done (USB WiFi) it by providing 5V into the USB VIN pin on the expansion headers and a micro-type-B to female-type-A cable. I also used the USB on the expansion pins as a USB host or client. For USB1 on the expansion header, you need to set the role with a change in the device tree as best I could get to work.

I ordered a pocket. But I have a question with out the internet link how do you add software to the pocket after it’s up and running?

Thanks Andy

You use the “USB-tether-gadget”, which, when your USB cable is connected to a Windows host computer, allows you to bridge and share the Ethernet port on the Windows host.

I have it working on Windows 10.

See

https://www.digikey.com/en/maker/blogs/how-to-connect-a-beaglebone-black-to-the-internet-using-usb/cdf66181b3a5436e9ad730e4ed4cf9ee

The only difference I found was that with the new security enforcements on the Beagle, you need to do something like

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

to add “nameserver 8.8.8.8” to the resolv.conf file, instead of the echo… command in the article.

The edits in the beagle are not persistent, so need to be repeated every time you reboot.

— Graham

You use the “USB-tether-gadget”, which, when your USB cable is connected to a Windows host computer, allows you to bridge and share the Ethernet port on the Windows host.

See

https://www.digikey.com/en/maker/blogs/how-to-connect-a-beaglebone-black-to-the-internet-using-usb/cdf66181b3a5436e9ad730e4ed4cf9ee

The only difference I found was that with the new security enforcements on the Beagle, you need to do something like

to add “nameserver 8.8.8.8” to the resolv.conf file, instead of the echo… command in the article.

The edits in the beagle are not persistent, so need to be repeated every time you reboot.

— Graham

Please help review and augment this newly added entry to the FAQ:
https://github.com/beagleboard/pocketbeagle/wiki/FAQ#how-do-i-get-connected-to-the-internet

I followed the steps including going to the maker.io on digikey. I have logged into the pocket but not under root that didn’t seem to work. I didn’t have the password. But I did log in under debian. But I’m having trouble getting the pocket to see the internet. no ping. I think the instruction maybe for windows 7. I’m using 10. When I change the properties on the wifi it looks a little different but I did find the sharing. and I set the IPm adress and DNS address.

And ping google.com did not work

I"m confused.

For tethering under a Linux host, these instructions worked well for me → http://jpdelacroix.com/tutorials/sharing-internet-beaglebone-black.html

You use the "USB-tether-gadget", which, when your USB cable is connected
to a Windows host computer, allows you to bridge and share the Ethernet
port on the Windows host.

See

https://www.digikey.com/en/maker/blogs/how-to-connect-a-
beaglebone-black-to-the-internet-using-usb/cdf66181b3a5436e9ad730e4ed4cf9
ee

The only difference I found was that with the new security enforcements on
the Beagle, you need to do something like

to add "nameserver 8.8.8.8" to the resolv.conf file, instead of the
echo... command in the article.

You may also be able to use sudo tee -a

echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" |sudo tee -a /etc/resolv.conf
Thanks,
Alex

Thanks! I’ll give it a try.

That didn’t work. But I noticed that there is redirection (is that what you call it) for the file resolv.conf. it linkis to /run/connman/resolv.conf there is also a folder in /etc that is called resolv.conf. in the folder there is update.d and update-libc.d.

I looked in the resolv.conf file with my editor and it has the “namespace 8.8.8.8” in the file. I assume it’s supposed to have the quotes

Andy

no quotes.

— Graham

I’ll try it.
Thanks!
Andy

Andy:

The following is an outline of what to do to connect a PocketBeagle to the internet via the USB cable to a Windows 10 desktop which is connected to the Internet via hardwire Ethernet.

Will there be a wireless version of the PocketBeagle?
It is like the Raspberry Pi Zero. The wireless connectivity was lacking, so now they have the Raspberry Pi Zero W.

torstai 21. syyskuuta 2017 18.35.38 UTC+3 Jason Kridner kirjoitti:

The PocketBeagle is now oshwa certified, so "everything" is available
for you to go spin a board with wifi.

Regards,

Still doesn’t work. But I noticed my image is 9/21/17. Older than yours. Do you think that could be the problem. I’ll give it a try.
Thanks Graham
Andy