Any plans for performance (CPU/GPU/Bus) upgrades on the BeagleBone Black anytime soon?

I am currently using BeagleBone Black and it’s really good for low-power low-performance projects, however, since I’ll be starting to use 3D and lots of screen overlays, I’m looking for a board like the BBB with better CPU/GPU/Bus.

Are there any plans for these types of SoC or can anyone recommend any?

Thanks
Ken

No plans to change the processor on the black. We are looking at a few enhancements. If they work out, it would be a different model.

Only thing we have that would give a bit more performance is the BeagleBoard-X15.

Gerald

No plans to change the processor on the black. We are looking at a few enhancements. If they work out, it would be a different model.

Only thing we have that would give a bit more performance is the BeagleBoard-X15.

Bit more performance? Just the ARM side will give you 5X performance and that doesn’t count the dual DSP, dual CortexM4 etc. By my count, X15 is a screamer compared to the BBB :wink:

Regards,
John

Its still not a “media” type platform with well support / existing drivers for video. So, if you want to do somethign like make a mini mame console, you’re stuck with garbage like the PI, or better but more costly odroid stuff.

Or, my bad, the Omilex LIME2 too. But I would not exactly call mali-400 a “perfect” solution either. But according to what I’ve read recently Linux / Android support is much better now days. . .

And no I do not exactly consider the PI “garbage”, except that it is based on a processor that is passed EOL support in many Linuxes, and broadcom comes off like like the Stalin of embedded SoC’s. So . . .

Its still not a “media” type platform with well support / existing drivers for video. So, if you want to do somethign like make a mini mame console, you’re stuck with garbage like the PI, or better but more costly odroid stuff.

I had a conversation with the RPMSG/REMOTEPROC developers at TI and they do have this working on the X15 processor, so video processing will be possible. They plan to push this into mainline sometime in early 2015.

Regards,
John

That would be nice, but I think I will be waiting on reputable feedback from the community before I make that leap - personally.

Oh, and just to be clear, the X15 would be a “toy” for me personally, assuming it works out for the ideas I have in mind. SO, many things including price, features( working features . . . ) , etc. Need to come together before I would make that leap personally.

The board is an embedded hobbyists dream in many aspects, and I think it would work awesomely for several use cases. However, if I do find something better suited for my needs, in the same or lower price range. Well . . . I think you know where I’m going.

That would be nice, but I think I will be waiting on reputable feedback from the community before I make that leap - personally.

I hope this helps :wink:

https://www.mail-archive.com/beagleboard@googlegroups.com/msg20818.html

Regards,
John

I’m not talking about you, or anyone else posting on this specific post. I basically require adamant assurance that the software is there to back the board. This only comes sometime after the board is released.