Ask about ipkg and opkg

Hi,
I am learning develop application for beagleboard in Angstrom. I am trying with Helloworld example. After using bitbake helloworld, I have the helloworld_1.0.0-r.1_armv7a.ipk file. First of all, I tried to copy this file to the home/root folder on the SDcard then tried to run ipkg install. Then I found out that I don’t have ipkg. I search in the mail list and find out ipkg is not supported any more and opkg should be used instead.
So my question is should I follow this with opkg?
Will this work with the file I have which is .ipk?
Where can I find more information about develop the application on BeagleBoard?

Best regards,
Thang Nguyen

I’m not a guru but " opkg install your_package.ipk " should work fine …

David [a.k.a] ADcomp

2009/3/9 Thang Nguyen <airthang@gmail.com>

Hi,
I use the opkg which is already in the image from Angstrom.
First of all I got the message:

• Could not obtain administrative lock
    As on a web site I try to delete the file lock in /usr/lib/opkg
    Then I run the opkg install again and get this message:
    opkg_conf_init: Failed to create temporary directory ‘(null)’: Stale NFS file handle

Is there anyone meet this issue?

Best regards,
Thang Nguyen

Thang Nguyen wrote:

Then I run the opkg install again and get this message:
opkg_conf_init: Failed to create temporary directory '(null)': Stale NFS file handle

I've seen that message with a ext2 filesystem that needed an fsck, though I don't believe it was specifically with opkg.

Could you please tell me how should I solve this issue?

Thang Nguyen wrote:

I'm not sure if this is related, but maybe a clue. Do /tmp and/or
/var mounted in your system, preferably as tmpfs? opkg needs one of
these folders to be mounted but don't remember which one.

Regards,
Caglar

Thang Nguyen wrote:

I've seen that message with a ext2 filesystem that needed an fsck,

I put the card in a USB reader attached to linux PC and ran "fsck /dev/sdb2" (your device name may vary)

It just so happens I'm currently investigating how to get the system to fsck itself, with limited success (install e2fsprogs-fsck and/or e2fsprogs-e2fsck; but haven't gotten it to run on startup yet.)

Hi,
After running fsck /dev/sdb2 and answering yes to delete a lot of nodes in the file system, I cannot go the login screen anymore. What I have now is the black screen with a X in the center. It’s kind of cursor icon.

Then restore your image. That will also resolve your opkg lock
problem....

Thang Nguyen wrote:

Hi,
After running fsck /dev/sdb2 and answering yes to delete a lot of nodes in the file system, I cannot go the login screen anymore. What I have now is the black screen with a X in the center. It's kind of cursor icon.

If you had something else before the trouble started, then you've probably got a damaged system file from one or more of the deleted nodes. This is where I just punt and rebuild the the filesystem from scratch. I know it's not a very good answer, but it's the only one I've got.