baseboard folder disappears in bone_capemgr after kernel upgrade to latest 4.4 kernel

I am running a custom image of Debian Stretch on BBB, downgraded to 4.4.54-ti-r93. On this image, /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/baseboard/serial-number exists. However after I perform an upgrade to 4.4.113-ti-r146 using sudo /opt/scripts/tools/update_kernel.sh --ti-channel --lts-4_4, /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/baseboard/ disappears.

I seek help to clarify if this is a known issue. Thanks!

–Luther

When U-Boot Overlays are active that directory is removed..

Regards,

I see. I need the serial number of the BBB. Previously I extracted it from /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/baseboard/serial-number. Where can I get the equivalent now?

–Luther

I would also like to know when the U-boot overlays changed from being inactive to being active. Is it specifically during the reboot into the new kernel?

–Luther

I see. I need the serial number of the BBB. Previously I extracted it from /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/baseboard/serial-number. Where can I get the equivalent now?

–Luther

sudo hexdump -e '8/1 "%c"' /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0050/eeprom -n 28 |
cut -b 5-28

Regards,

well between r93 -> r146..

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/ti-linux-kernel-dev/commits/ti-linux-4.4.y

r93: Mar 16, 2017
r146: Feb 2, 2018

So i'd say mid summer of 2017..

Regards,

When available, the contents of /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/baseboard/serial-number and /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0050/eeprom differ. Are they expected to be the same or are they 2 different type of serial numbers altogether? And are both unique? Thanks!

–Luther

For clarity, the difference is as follows. Question: Is one more correct than the other?

cat /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/baseboard/serial-number 4816BBBK2650 # sudo hexdump -e ‘8/1 “%c”’ /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0050/eeprom -n 28 | cut -b 5-28 A335BNLTEIA04816BBBK2650

When available, the contents of /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/baseboard/serial-number and /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0050/eeprom differ. Are they expected to be the same or are they 2 different type of serial numbers altogether? And are both unique? Thanks!

–Luther

A335BNLTEIA04816BBBK2650

A335BNLT -> "BeagleBone Black Family"
EIA0 -> "Element14 BeagleBone Black Industrial"
4816BBBK2650 -> "Serial"

If all you want is the serial, adjust the "5" in the "cut -b 5-28" option

Regards,

Is there a way to get the serial number without using sudo?

–Luther