Bash throws errors after a week of uptime

I am running Debian 9.11 (4.14.108-ti-r124) on BBB and it runs fine for about a week and then Bash no longer can find commands and it throws errors upon every subsequent command. Commands result in one of two errors depending upon the command. Here are two recent examples:

$debian:/opt/tools$ ping google.com

-bash: /bin/ping: Input/output error

$debian:/opt/tools$ reboot
-bash: reboot: command not found

Has anyone else seen this problem?  I am unsure where to create issues for Debian Stretch on ARM/BBB.

Looks like a busted SD card or eMMC (depending on where your root file system resides).

I am using eMMC. Why would the system work for 4-6 days before dying if it was broken?

I will make an image of my system and dd it over to another BBB. That will determine if it is hardware or not.

Is it possible your out of space on your EMMC ?

I have been monitoring the space. I thought it was /tmp but the usage is super low:

`
debian@radius:~$ df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
udev 219552 0 219552 0% /dev
tmpfs 49496 6156 43340 13% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p1 30714340 4244892 25170228 15% /
tmpfs 247476 0 247476 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5120 4 5116 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 247476 0 247476 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 49492 0 49492 0% /run/user/1000

`

Nothing in dmesg either.

The device /dev/mmcblk0 is usually the SD card. Also the BBB has 4 GB of eMMC, not 32 GB as available your root file system. I still suspect that you’re running off the SD card, and it’s failing :slight_smile:

I agree with Tarmo in that your root is showing what looks like a 32GB SD card and not the 4GB eMMC.
you can run ‘df -h’ to see the space in a more user friendly format.

Both reboot and ping map to ‘/sbin’ and ‘/bin’ so you could try the full path to the tools to see if you can still run the commands directly.
Ex:
sudo /sbin/reboot

Also, unless you have modified the sudoers config, reboot is a root function so you would typically need to run this as ‘sudo’ if you are logged in as the debian user.
Ex: sudo reboot

To see if there are any issues being reported on the system, your can run ‘dmesg’ or view the messages in ‘/var/log/messages’ and see if any device related errors are being reported.

As far as BB support, the Beagle Board Support group should be your best option.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!categories/beagleboard/support

You might want to provide the output of ‘/opt/scripts/version.sh’ to get an overall view of your config.

cheers,

Jon

You are both correct. I have six BBBs running and forgot this one was still using an SD card due to some Docker images I am running. The others are all on Debian 9.11 in eMMC.

I ran fdisk and it shows the SD card is indeed failing. I am going to dd off as much as I can before it completely dies. I wish the Debian images were a tad smaller as I loathe using SD cards for any duration.

Thanks for your insight!

I was logged in as root.

Sorry, that should read fsck not fdisk.