BB Black not displaying on reboot

sudo /opt/scripts/tools/update_kernel.sh
sudo reboot

Might fix it, but v4.14.x isn’t going to see anymore updates anyways…

Regards,

@RobertCNelson
My question was how to update from stretch to the latest version of buster.
So that appears to have been done. Let me ask the same question but in a different way.

What do I type on the command line to update the OS to the latest distribution which would include buster and also the latest kernel?

In other words, as if I downloaded the latest distro and flashed a micro-SD card but my user folders, programs and things like samba and settings like swap space size were left as before.

The reason I believe I need this is because when I ask a question I’m told either my OS or my kernel is out of date and end of life and so there is no help unless I upgrade. Which is what I am trying to do.

Cheers
John

Like i mentioned previously…

sudo /opt/scripts/tools/update_kernel.sh

BUT it may not work, as the latest v4.14.x I shipped with Stretch was…

ABI:1 LTS414 4.14.108-ti-r143

http://repos.rcn-ee.net/latest/stretch-armhf/LATEST-ti

Vs Buster:

ABI:1 LTS414 4.14.108-ti-r143

https://repos.rcn-ee.net/latest/buster-armhf/LATEST-ti

Since i’m not planning to update v4.14.x-ti any time in the future, 4.14.108-ti-r143 == 4.14.108-ti-r143…

So either stay on your “stretch” version of v4.14.x-ti or reinstall “buster” version of v4.14.x-ti or switch to v4.19.x-ti, v5.4.x-ti, or v5.10.x-ti

Regards,

@RobertCNelson
You are quite right! Before I posted my last question I had tried what you suggested and it does not work. It appears to be stuck at 4.14.108-ti-r143

So it begs two questions:

1. Probably the most important one is why even switch to as high as v5.10.x.ti… What benefit other than not getting the reply to a question for help that states the kernel is too old so we can’t help you.
  2. If I wanted to update to buster version v4.14x-ti or 5.10.x.ti… how is that done?

Sorry for being so tiresome on this.
John

it might be built by Buster thou in the uname report! :wink:

So the big problem, I’m only actively testing v4.19.x/v5.4.x/v5.10.x. today:

http://gfnd.rcn-ee.org:81/farm/uptime/

v4.19.x:

sudo /opt/scripts/tools/update_kernel.sh --ti-channel --lts-4_19

v5.4.x

sudo /opt/scripts/tools/update_kernel.sh --ti-channel --lts-5_4

v5.10.x

sudo /opt/scripts/tools/update_kernel.sh --ti-channel --lts-5_10

@RobertCNelson
It was still stretch in the uname report so I’ve started with the first one because I have no idea why I’d choose one of the others.
Worked like a charm.

debian@ebb:~$ uname -a
Linux ebb 4.19.94-ti-r68 #1buster SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 16 15:32:31 UTC 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux
debian@ebb:~$

What is the farm/uptime about?

This document from 2019 says a lot about kernel versions. I couldn’t find anything on 4.14 and up so still no real idea why one or the other.
BeagleBone_and_the_3.8_Kernel

Anyway. It appears I now have buster and one the newer kernels. I’ve penciled in this information onto page 60 of my second edition of “Exploring Beaglebone” by "Derek Molloy. The information is there like what you posted but somehow it didn’t make sense. I had a checkmark there so I had, like a robot, followed the directions to automatically update to 4.14.108-ti-r143 but it never went past that.

For example. Why does Derek say --ti-rt-channel while your example was --ti-channel

Thank you.
John

P.S. And my CAN cape and Lazarus FPC software still works:
debian@ebb:~/lazarus/lazcandump$ sudo ip link set can1 up type can bitrate 250000
debian@ebb:~/lazarus/lazcandump$ ./lazcandump can1
CAN Sockets Receive Demo Rev 0.1 Build 7
can1 718 [1] 05
can1 298 [7] 00 00 00 00 01 00 00
can1 718 [1] 05
debian@ebb:~/lazarus/lazcandump$

It’s my Testing/Tracking/etc area, showing v4.14.x is no longer tested by me…

Yes, there are a lot of random wiki’s from 2013. Feel free to fix them all… :wink:

Here’s mine: Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack Debian - eLinux.org

In Derek’s book he wanted to use the RT patchset, thus he used: --ti-rt-channel includes the kernel built with the RT patch-set applied…

Regards,

@RobertCNelson

So are you not supporting the RT patch set?

And I’m not nearly at the point where I could update a wiki on how to do things on the Beagle or Pi for that matter.
John

Did you look at? Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack Debian - eLinux.org

While I build it for users I personally don’t’ use it…

Regards,