[bb xm rev. C] wrong bootargs to 2.6.38 kernel - no visible output after kernel uncompression

Hi guys,

I know this is a common problem, but I can’t find a solution. I recompiled kernel 2.6.38 in order to have SPI working.

The boot process gets stuck after the message “Uncompressing Linux… done, booting the kernel.”

So, as I red in various places, I tried to change the serial console parameters on U-Boot. My U-Boot version is “U-Boot 2011.03-rc1-00000-g9a3cc57-dirty (Apr 01 2011 - 17:41:42)”

I tried in several ways (boot.cmd/boot.scr, uEnv.txt, manual variable setting at U-Boot shell), none working. In the last attempt at the U-Boot shell I tried with the following:

Hi Daniele,

If you look at one of my posts, I had the same issue and I really not no response, beyond "have you tried changing boot args to ttyS* to ttyO* " and guess what it does not helps :frowning:

Here is what I have found, based on the u-boot version and environmental settings it may or may not be setting up the 32kHz clock so when you go back in to menuconfig I personally prefer xconfig

either enable or disable the 32kHz clock.

If you are not sure I can provide you with more details.

Thanks

Husain

Hi Daniele,

if you compiled kernel yourself, you could easily miss option providing TI serial support. I don’t remember exactly how it’s called, but it something like SERIAL_OMAP and/or SERIAL_OMAP_CONSOLE. Try to enable these options and see if it helps. And, you already have correctly ttyO2 enabled.

Regards,
Maksym.

Thank you guys for the prompt reply.

@Maksym Parkachov

I checked my kernel .config and I found the following parameters configuration:

CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_OMAP=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_OMAP_CONSOLE=y

So I think it’s fine for this aspect.

@Husain

I used the omap2plus_defconfig in order to configure my kernel. These are the clock features configured. I think you referred to these, didn’t you?

Hi Again,

I have noticed that different compilations of u-boot may not set up the high speed clock, the 32K timer if not set up by u-boot configrations will cause the kernel to not boot up.

Try turning (CONFIG_OMAP_32K_TIMER=y) this option off.

I have had this happen many times and you are absolutely correct that “omap2plus_defconfig” will set this up,

This is a “dirty” fix that I have found, obviously the proper way is to set up the environment variables and other options properly through u-boot.

Thanks

Husain

hi all
beagle board xm rev c with linux kernel 3.4.0 running (sd boot)

arm9-mini2440.blogspot.in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJVJ9gXj3Wk&feature=plcp

working on bsp for lcd on same kernel.

best wishes
Phanirajkiran.
Embedded Software Labs
mprk@embeddedsoftwarelabs.com
India.