BBB (Element14/Industrial) Fails to Boot off EMMC After Flash

Sorry for the book in advance, just want to make sure I outline all the steps I did to try to get to the bottom of this. I picked up an Element14 Industrial Version of the BBB. Trying to get Python 3.6 installed to find out that it’s not supported on the Debian 8.11 that was running. Went to Beaglebone images and downloaded “AM3358 Debian 10.3 2020-04-06 4GB eMMC IoT Flasher” and used Win32DiskImager to flash it to a microSD card. I also uncommented the “#cmdline=init=/opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/init-eMMC-flasher-v3.sh” at the bottom of the uEnv.txt file. Flash seemed to go fine, the LEDs went back and forth then on one attempt, the LEDs were all flashing on and off at the same time. I unplugged here thinking it was done, but apparently it wasn’t. Went back and managed to flash again (saw lights going up and down in order/etc) then waited for it to totally turn off. After all LEDs were off I unplugged the BBB and now the heartbeat flashes a few times then all goes dark. No lights or anything. The only weird part is if I put the flasher microsd card in that I made (can confirm I used the flasher image) then it will boot and it’s still running Debian 8.11. Anyone have any ideas as to what in the world might be going on? Thanks in advance!

ALL on and ALL off is an error condition, do you have usb serial
adapter to plug into J1?

https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBone_Black_Serial

Regards,

Apologies that I don't have anything for the current situation, but
just some advise for the future.

1) Win32 Disk Imager has been somewhat deprecated (it is still useful if
one is going in the other direction: SD card to disk file). Balena Etcher
seems to be the currently recommended tool for writing image files to SD
card (it tends to handle most compression formats too, so no need to first
unpack the image file)

2) Suggest that one should ensure the image runs from SD card (maybe doing
any customizations too) BEFORE converting it to a flasher image.

Robert,

On https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBone_Black_Serial

Logic Supply no longer valid
Tindle discontinued
Adafruit no longer stocks

Ken

P.S. I contacted Debain regarding bwbasic maintainer am waiting to hear back.

Robert,

On Beagleboard:BeagleBone Black Serial - eLinux.org

Logic Supply no longer valid
Tindle discontinued

Seems about right, last edit was 2017

https://elinux.org/index.php?title=Beagleboard:BeagleBone_Black_Serial&action=history

Adafruit no longer stocks

Due to the global pandemic, they not really shipping anything, but
Adafruit does stock that unit..

Regards,

I hope you don’t mind me pointing these things out.

Ken

Feel free to fix them too, many pages can go back 10+ years.

My free time is limited, i volunteer what I can.

Regards,

Got this fixed. I didn’t extract my image before flashing with Win32, Belina did it just fine. I also somehow turned the bootloader to flash from BBB to SD card instead of the other way around. This is all good now!