BBB No video over HDMI

Please add the following line to your uEnv.txt file (seen on the flash drive when you plug your board in):

optargs=drm.debug=7

Then, ssh into the board and perform ‘dmesg > file.txt’ and provide a copy of that file. If this is too complicated, I can look at providing an additional debug image for problematic monitors.

This is good information; I wish I had it yesterday. I was told to RMA the board so I don’t have it anymore. I don’t know what will happen now, whether my BBB will be tested and returned or I’ll get another in exchange. It’s strange there are so many having issues with a standard interface like HDMI though.

The driver had to be rewritten basically from scratch for DRM. It is still a work in progress and some of the timings are not yet ideal. We want to make sure it is not an HW issue, hence the RMA.

Ideally if there was a way to tweak the timings with an addition to the uENV.txt file, that would be ideal.

Did you hear back from the RMA team before you sent the board in?

Gerald

The only information I got from the RMA team was a shipping label. No information about what will happen next. I requested that they keep me posted.

Chuck W.

They will receive it and let you know when it arrives. Then they will test it and report back to me what they found. Then depending on what they find, they will either repair and send it back to you or just send you a new one.

Gerald

Ok - thanks for the update. Also thank you for helping me troubleshoot this problem.

Well, we may need you again. If the boards tests fine, then we have some SW settings to look at. EDID should give us what we need. EDID may not be reading correctly, but the messages Jason mentioned would tell us that.

Gerald

No problem. I’ll do what I can to help.

Chuck W.

One other thing, for others who may read this, the boards comes up with the display off. It wakes up sleeping. If you can connect a mouse or keyboard, and wiggle/hit a key, that should wake it up. You may have to power cycle the display, because it is now asleep, but you should get something. We are working to make sure the board wakes up awake and does not wake up asleep.

Gerald

That command was not intended to make HDMI work. Read the rest of his message. You were supposed to copy something to a file.

Gerald

Running that command should have created a new file called file.txt. I’m guessing Jason would then like you to transfer it off. The easiest way is to use the scp command (Linux/Mac) or WinSCP (Windows). SCP works very similar to SSH but it used for copying files. If you’re more familiar with FTP, then the SFTP might be a better approach (it’s an FTP interface for SCP).