[BBB] OpenCV 2.4.x on ubuntu precise

When I do ‘apt-get cache opencv’ on my beaglebone black running ubuntu precise + LXDE, it shows that version 2.3 is available. Is there a plan for 2.4.x becoming available? The procedure for trying to build it myself looks painful.

Thanks,
Jim

Upgrade to "raring" 13.04 then you'll have 2.4.x

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=raring&searchon=names&keywords=opencv

Regards,

Thanks Robert,

I actually tried Raring and it was very unstable with LXDE, which is confirmed by this link:

http://circuitco.com/support/index.php?title=Installing_LXDE

NOTE: LXDE on this version of Ubuntu [Raring] is very buggy. Issues include a long boot-up time, missing mouse cursor, and the taskbar may fail to show up after login. If these problems arise, you may try to power down your BBB and then re-apply power while holding down the ‘boot’ button until the USER LEDs begin to flicker.

So which will come first, OpenCV 2.4.x for precise, or a stable Raring + LXDE?

Thanks,
Jim

You kidding right, what comes first? Umm "precise" is frozen, except
for bug fixes..

OpenCV 2.3.x -> 2.4.x is NOT a bug fix..

So, you have 3 options, to pick from..

Run Raring
Run Precise + Raring's OpenCV rebuilt from the *.tar.gz/*.dsc
Run Precise + OpenCV built from git...

Regards,

Thanks Robert.

Sorry for the stupid question - I guess I’m pretty ignorant about how the Ubuntu releases work. I didn’t know LTS meant bug fixes only.
Do you work for Canonical?

Please tell me what you think of this method:

1. Create a new SD card with the Raring image
  2. apt-get install libopencv* on the Raring SD card
  3. copy all opencv related files from Raring rootfs to the Precise rootfs

Thanks!
Jim

Thanks Robert.

Sorry for the stupid question - I guess I'm pretty ignorant about how the
Ubuntu releases work. I didn't know LTS meant bug fixes only.
Do you work for Canonical?

It doesn't matter that it is an LTS, once ubuntu makes a release only
bug fixes are allowed <period>..

Please tell me what you think of this method:
1) Create a new SD card with the Raring image
2) apt-get install libopencv* on the Raring SD card
3) copy all opencv -lated files from Raring rootfs to the Precise rootfs

Terrible..

Specially since you can get the "raring" *.deb by just downloading
them from ports.ubuntu.com, no reason to setup a full SD card..

Regards,

My friend has recommended Proteus as an easy to modify OS.
I get the impression some of these compiles of Angstrom are taking 12 hours.
What seems to be the most popular OS for BBB and why ?
thanks for any comments
Gus in Denver 777proteus

My friend has recommended Proteus as an easy to modify OS.
I get the impression some of these compiles of Angstrom are taking 12 hours.
What seems to be the most popular OS for BBB and why ?
thanks for any comments

I'd never heard of Porteus until right now. Found this though:
https://code.google.com/p/porteus-arm/downloads/list

It would seem someone is using it on a Beaglebone somewhere.

However, compiling any distribution will take a long time, so arguing
that compiling Angstrom takes to long is moot. Similarly, you don't
actually need to compile Angstrom as images already exist for the
Beaglebone.

Until now I have never heard of the OS / distro myself. When i first saw this post, I was thinking it was about the circuit simulation tool by labcenter . . .

As for which distro is most popular ? You’ll likely get a different answer from anyone you ask. But most likely I would have to say Angstrom, as it is what comes on the BBB as shipped. However, if you’re set on one distro or another on the PC, then likely that distro will make you most happy on the BBB too. Gentoo, Fedora, Debian Ubuntu, ARCH, and Angstrom all run on the BBB as we speak. Not to mention a few offshoots of the same mentioned above. Sabayon is also mentioned on CCO’s site I believe, but i have yet to run into someone saying that is what they run on their BBB ( Similar to Gentoo anyhow . . . ).

Personally I run Debian on my own boards here. The reason for me are mostly simple. I have years of experience with Debian, documentation for Debian can be found at the drop of a hat when I do not know something. Debian is very solid, and requires very little resources when running from a CLI( which is exactly how I run it ). Plus everything is where I expect to find it, and I really like the APT package manager, and dpkg a lot. Plus there is at least one person who is actively maintaining Debian for this specific hardware, who is not afraid to share information.

This is not meant to put down other distro’s or the people who work on them, this is just meant to try and convey why I prefer what I do. Any one / two reason(s) by themselves probably would not be a big enough reason(s) in of themselves.

So YMMV, give a few a shot.

Oh an yeah to agree with Bill Traynor, Debian built from source( including uboot if you wish ) Will likely take you most of a day. I know I’ve done it myself( many times ). Granted, most of that is downloading sources / prerequisites.

Thanks for the information and I apologize for calling it Proteus when it is Porteus
Gus