BBB success!

I got a BBB recently. I tried it out with a simple USB connection to my laptop, but I only got round to trying it properly this morning when the HDMI to Micro HDMI cable I ordered yesterday arrived.

I connected the BBB to my Viera TV via the HDM cable, selected the HDMI input using the remote, and connected the BBB to one of my laptop USB ports. It booted up OK with a drive on my laptop and after a couple of minutes it booted Linux and I got a nice display on the TV with a mouse pointer. I tried to move the pointer with the laptop, without success, and decided that I ought to read the documentation. I found that the ideal interface would be a USB keyboard and wireless mouse combination, which I didn’t have, so I just plugged a USB mouse into the BBB USB port, and found that I could navigate the GUI with that. It’s not ideal, but it is a quick and dirty way of testing that everything works. I didn’t even need a power supply.

Go here for a list of accessories that have been tested http://circuitco.com/support/BeagleBoneBlack.

Gerald

I bought a Logitech mk260 wireless keyboard and mouse this morning from my local computer shop. It works OK with the BBB, although the USB wireless adapter is a bit large and fouls the Micro HDMI connector. I had to use a USB male-female lead, and the connector on that is a bit big and also puts some pressure on the Micro HDMI connector.

True that---Gerald, would you consider moving them apart if you
redesign the PCB? the flip side of the USB connector would be a
perfect spot for the SD card :slight_smile:

I won’t be moving any components on the board. Too many out there and too many people counting on things to be where they are for such things as cases.

Gerald

Plus there's the small fact that the through-hole shell of the USB
connector prevents the uSD card from being on the other side of the
board. Ditto for the micro-HDMI connector (it's hard to see the
through hole shell pins, but they're there). Note that the HDMI and
USB connectors are overlapped some, or all three connectors wouldn't
fit on the board edge.

There are generally valid reasons the board looks the way it does! :slight_smile:

I just tried the BBB with a USB hub, USB keyboard, and USB mouse (all made by Trust) and both the keyboard and mouse worked OK. I couldn’t find the hub yesterday, otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered getting the wireless keyboard and mouse.

That’s great to hear!