BBB uart with node-red

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me out there as I'm pulling my hair out in frustration at trying to get a simple serial port write from my BBB using Node-Red.
I have tried lots of different images to try and sort this problem out and thought I'd try you guys to see if anyone has successfully got this working?!?!?!

Software:
My latest attempt is to use the recently released Debian BBB image (https://beagleboard.org/latest-images) 8.7 [2017-3-19]... this has node red baked in as standard.(Ver 0.15.2).

Hardware:
I have a (RS485) waveshare cape fitted to my BBB to which is then connected an FTDI RS485 to serial (USB) interface cable - so to test comms I should be able to write a simple flow that uses an injection node into a serial output node and the message should go through the RS485 cape into the RS485 cable where it is converted into serial and back into my computer where it appears as a serial message in a terminau program (Terra Term).

When I click on the serial node I can search for the available comm ports and it allows me to select '/dev/ttySx' (where x is 0 to 5).... when I deploy the node it say connected in the serial node status. When I inject a message nothing is sent from the selected comm port. (Note - I have also tried an injection from the USB serial port into the cape to see if I can get a incomming message displayed in the debug window....but that doesn't work either)

I have read lots of comment online from people saying to adjust the uEnv.txt file to include a cape structure..... but this didn't work in the past - now with the latest build of Debian I can't seem to modify this file to try it as it says permission denied when I try to save the modified file (is this because I now have to login as Debian instead of Root - a recent change in the latest image)???

In the past I have also tried OctalBoneScript node install instead of using the standard Node-Red serial node, but this didn't work either

I seem to be going round in circles with this a burning hours/days in the process.... can anyone help please??

Many thanks in advance

Michael

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me out there as I'm pulling my hair out in frustration at trying to get a simple serial port write from my BBB using Node-Red.
I have tried lots of different images to try and sort this problem out and thought I'd try you guys to see if anyone has successfully got this working?!?!?!

Software:
My latest attempt is to use the recently released Debian BBB image (https://beagleboard.org/latest-images) 8.7 [2017-3-19]... this has node red baked in as standard.(Ver 0.15.2).

Hardware:
I have a (RS485) waveshare cape fitted to my BBB to which is then connected an FTDI RS485 to serial (USB) interface cable - so to test comms I should be able to write a simple flow that uses an injection node into a serial output node and the message should go through the RS485 cape into the RS485 cable where it is converted into serial and back into my computer where it appears as a serial message in a terminau program (Terra Term).

sorry i don't have that cape, but i'd expect that to work, just placed
an order for one..

When I click on the serial node I can search for the available comm ports and it allows me to select '/dev/ttySx' (where x is 0 to 5).... when I deploy the node it say connected in the serial node status. When I inject a message nothing is sent from the selected comm port. (Note - I have also tried an injection from the USB serial port into the cape to see if I can get a incomming message displayed in the debug window....but that doesn't work either)

I have read lots of comment online from people saying to adjust the uEnv.txt file to include a cape structure..... but this didn't work in the past - now with the latest build of Debian I can't seem to modify this file to try it as it says permission denied when I try to save the modified file (is this because I now have to login as Debian instead of Root - a recent change in the latest image)???

you've always had to be root to open uEnv.txt, as debian run:

sudo nano /boot/uEnv.txt

In the past I have also tried OctalBoneScript node install instead of using the standard Node-Red serial node, but this didn't work either

Node-Red actually pulls in OctalBoneScript.. (ps, just a few days ago
i syned in node-red 0.16.2)

I seem to be going round in circles with this a burning hours/days in the process.... can anyone help please??

Regards,