BBB unexpectedly dead after a week; what to try/what to expect from an RMA?

Hi,

I’m a week into a BBB revC/Debian project using the LEDscape library to control some Adafruit NeoPixels. Everything was working out great with the electronics so I upgraded the kernel and then configured a WiFi adapter; no problems there either. I rebooted several times to make sure it would continue to recognize the WiFi interface and it was still working perfectly as an SSH host using avahi. I then powered down the BBB for about half hour and when I tried to start it again it wouldn’t turn on and has not since then. The only sign of life is a tiny flicker of the PWR LED when I push the power button. There is no output from the serial terminal during the boot which isn’t too surprising to me since the light only flickers on for a split second. I’m using a brand new 5V 4A power supply through the barrel jack on the board, drawing a peak of about 120mA through the VDD pin for two NeoPixels (though I disconnected everything once I noticed a problem with booting). I’ve read a few other accounts of people having BBBs suddenly die like this post that links to this page. Any ideas on anything else to try? If I submit an RMA request I have a few basic questions about the process before I move ahead with it. Namely, what sort of turnaround time might I expect and should I expect to be charged for a repair or replacement. Here’s a Fritzing breadboard diagram of my circuit (there are no inputs into the BBB, so I don’t think I fried it that way). I am really enjoying the BBB so far and I hope I can get this resolved quickly so I can keep working on my project!

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Mark

Request the RMA. Turn around should not take long. Replacing the blown processor isn’t that complicated.

http://www.elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack#RMA_Support

You might want to take a look ant your design to make sure the blown processor is not due to your connection to the NeoPixels.

http://www.elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack#Expansion_Header_Usage

Gerald

Thanks for your response, Gerald! I will request the RMA.