BBB Ver C - Editing /etc/network/interfaces has no effect on eth0. Is it even used?

I got my new BBB Version C with the 4gb onboard flash preloaded with Debian (THANK YOU!!) a few days ago, and I am finally getting around to setting it up the way I want to, and I ran into a snag. I edited /etc/network/interfaces like I always have, yet this time, it has no effect on eth0 or usb0. Is this configuration file even used now with this hardware?? Why would it be hijacked by an init script?? Most of the examples I Googled use this method to set a static IP, etc.

I would like to know how to set my BBB up to use /etc/network/interfaces as it was intended to be used, and as a bonus, how can I get rid of the “HAND-HOLDING” stuff, like the /support/bone101 page and server. It’s an awesome feature for newbies, don’t get me wrong. But I do not need it and want it gone. I write all my stuff in C++, PHP, and Java, and do not need CLOUD9 or any of all that other stuff.

I had hoped there would be a scripted option to “OPT-OUT” of all that extra stuff with this new version, but I guess I expect too much. It is awesome that the switch was made to Debian though, but it is not enough of a move in the right direction. At least for people like me that want an ARM distro of debian that is as close to the stock release as possible.

Sorry for all the extra fluff. I want to set my BBB for static IP’s, for USB, WIFI, AND Ethernet, and I want to do it the way I always HAVE done it. Using /etc/network/interfaces.

DISCLAIMER! - If I just blew it and forgot something with the config file I mentioned and that is why my setup isn’t working, please excuse me.

Thank you, as always, for your valuable time!

Gary Rubin of HopWorks - Embedded Imagination

This use this "minimal" image, till i get the official bb.org one done. :wink:

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian#eMMC:_BeagleBone_Black

Regards,