BBB with 1GB DDR3

I have a couple of BBB boards (rev. C) where the original 512MB DDR3 chip (Micron MT41K256M16HA-125:E) was removed and replaced with a new one with 1GB capacity (Micron MT41K512M16HA-125:E).
The only difference between the chips are the number of row address lines (15 for 512MB chip, 16 for 1GB chip).
In order to have the system to handle the full memory I know I have to change the setting of the SDRAM_CONFIG register, reg_rowsize field from 6 to 7.
I have to change the SDRAM_CONFIG register from the actual 0x61C05332 to 0x61C053B2

I’ve find the 0x61C05332 constant into the MLO file (there’s only one into the file and also it’s very close to the other constants used to initialize the other EMIF registers so I’m very confident that it’s really it).
I’m just wondering if I could, simply, directly edit the content of the MLO file… without recompiling all the boot enviroment.

Can this work? or has the MLO file some checksum also?

I don’t need a new brick… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

bye

Or just boot with the latest image?

u-boot should detect the full 1GB..

Regards,

MLO is built by uboot you could rebuild it .

You’re right: there’s no need to do anything in order to make the BBB see and use the whole available memory.
It automatically detects the installed memory at boot.

Anyway, I also tryed to change the MLO file using the correct value for CONFIG register: it seems to have no effect at all…

Many thanks
bye