bbone: angstrom and multiple kernel versions

Gidday there,

I recently ran ‘opkg update; opkg upgrade’ on my beaglebone and in doing so, the latest 3.2.9+ kernel was deployed, and my previous 3.2.6+ kernel (with all of its modules) was removed. Unfortunately, it seems that the kernel modules needed for my WiFi USB key were not included in the packages distributed with 3.2.9+. I’ve searched around a bit and I can’t seem to find any references about how to deploy multiple kernels using opkg and the angstrom-distribution package feed. Besides building my own set of packages, how is this supposed to be managed? There are so many different layers in the OE build system, where am I supposed to raise an issue to whoever provides feeds.angstrom-distribution.org with their packages?

And while we’re at it, how do I find the list of packages associated with meta packages? Another part of the latest upgrade was that the gst-plugins-good-meta package appears to have changed the name of all of their sub-packages from gst-plugin-foo to gst-plugins-good-foo.

Any hints or pointers to docs are appreciated.

Thanks

Joshua

I recently ran ‘opkg update; opkg upgrade’ on my beaglebone and in doing so, the latest 3.2.9+ kernel was deployed, and my previous 3.2.6+ kernel (with all of its modules) was removed. Unfortunately, it seems that the kernel modules needed for my WiFi USB key were not included in the packages distributed with 3.2.9+.

Okay, so I’m not sure what cheap sort of crack I was smoking before, but I found my wifi driver again. I guess I had just gotten use to it working with a simple ‘ifup wlan0’.

I’ve searched around a bit and I can’t seem to find any references about how to deploy multiple kernels using opkg and the angstrom-distribution package feed. Besides building my own set of packages, how is this supposed to be managed? There are so many different layers in the OE build system, where am I supposed to raise an issue to whoever provides feeds.angstrom-distribution.org with their packages?

And while we’re at it, how do I find the list of packages associated with meta packages? Another part of the latest upgrade was that the gst-plugins-good-meta package appears to have changed the name of all of their sub-packages from gst-plugin-foo to gst-plugins-good-foo.

Any hints or pointers to docs are appreciated.

I eventually just bit the bullet and ran

opkg remove --force-depends gst-plugin-*

and everything was happy (while waiting for all of the latest python upgrades to complete).

Sorry for the noise.

Joshua

I'm glad you made some noise. I'm looking to do this as well.

What make/model of WiFi USB key did you use?

Thanks,
Duane Johnson
(canadaduane)

I got a D-Link DWA-125 from futureshop for $30. This uses the rt2800usb driver. I pretty much was looking at the following list as I was picking up the boxes.

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Devices/USB

But actually, prior to that, I had done a quick scan in /lib/modules/foo/kernel/drivers/wireless to see which modules were already built. Don’t forget to download the firmware from the manufacturer though.

I had it running before the upgrade, but for some reason it hasn’t been able to correctly associate itself with my AP since then. However, I only get a few minutes to fiddle around with this after the kids are in bed, so it’s probably just in need of some sort of power cycle.

Joshua

p.s. (O.T.) Whoever came up with the heart-beat LED linked to loadavg is a genius!