BBW fails to boot

BY the way, the latest console image for me, with Nodejs 4.6.2 and npm 3.10 only weights in at around 400M total. I’d expect before Nodejs sme where aroudn 280M maybe slightly less. I didn’t check . . .

Hi William,

I want the kernel tree so that I can build a kernel module. I’ll follow your advise and start with a working image. It might be easier that way to get a working tree of the kernel instead of bothering with uboot and MLO.

Thanks,
-Hesham

Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 9:53 AM
To: beagleboard@googlegroups.com
Reply To: beagleboard@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [beagleboard] BBW fails to boot

|

• |

Hesham,

I think at this point, the safest thing to do is to get the newest standalone( non flasher ) console image, boot it, and observe the serial debug output.

After that, check out the file structure, and perhaps rip out some needed files to put into your system.

Question though. Is there a specific reason why you’re compiling your own kernel ? If not, it may be best to just use the latest console image, and strip that down to something smaller if that’s what you need.

Hi William,

It seems it’s a power issue. I used the SD image:
bone-ubuntu-16.04-console-armhf-2016-06-09-2gb.img.xz

But I saw the same failure while in u-boot. Then, I started to suspect power as I was powering it with USB only. This was never a problem in older images though (couple of years ago). Anyways, with external power, I got it proceeding but it failed in finding the kernel (the boot log is attached in the email, if you are interested).

I tried to proceed by mounting the SD on my Ubuntu, but the filesystem was corrupt for my Linux box to read. So I stopped this endeavor.

I was happy at least the u-boot is working and I worked the wiki, https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone for reformatting partition 1, kernel, root file system, uEnv.txt, modules, and dts. i.e. all but u-boot part and partitioning the card. It has booted successfully.

I have minor problem in power though. It doesn’t power-up by plugging the 5V but I have to plug the USB and immediately after I plug the 5V, this way it works. It’s a little inconvenient but at least it works!

Thanks all!

-Hesham

boot.log (4.39 KB)