Beagle Audio? -- The Hunt for Red "Mud"tober

MBARI (Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute) has deployed a Beagle in 300 meters of water for more than a week to acoustically record any movement of mud down Monterey Canyon.

I have attached a small WAV file that was record by the Beagleboard while being pinged by a sonar (10 Khz, every few seconnds) from a ship on the surface about 500 meters away. You can clearly hear the ship screws as well as some multipath reflections.

Also, attached are Spectrum.pdf (a power spectrum plot of the attached audio data, look for the peak at 10 KHz) and Beagle_noise.png (a plot of the noise floor of the Beagle, out of the box with the audio inputs grounded).

The on board audio won’t make Tom Clancy sit up and take notice but its good enough for many purposes (even MBARI’s wacky use).

Our next deployment is 11/24. I promise photos of the Beagle on the bottom but our deployment will be for several months, so you’ll have to wait a while for any “sounds from the deep”.

Wayne

Happiness does not come from having much, but from being attached to little. |

mcstar_pings.wav (1.07 MB)

Spectrum.pdf (75.1 KB)

You know what else is Zen?--presenting at the eTech Day Community
Lightning Talks: http://tinyurl.com/etechlightning. :slight_smile:

Jason

MBARI does some fairly mundane stuff with the Beagles; recording audio, running instruments and high level motion control for underwater robotics. Of course, our environment is a bit more challenging than some due to the pressure and lack of electrical sockets.

We put together our acoustic recorder in less than a week and suffered through the EHCI problems :frowning:

How does one sign up for a talk? (talks are “presented” through the magic of the Internet, I presume)

Wayne

Happiness does not come from having much, but from being attached to little.

— On Fri, 11/13/09, Jason Kridner jkridner@beagleboard.org wrote:

> From: Jason Kridner jkridner@beagleboard.org
> Subject: [beagleboard] Re: Beagle Audio? – The Hunt for Red "Mud"tober
> To: “Beagle Board” beagleboard@googlegroups.com
> Date: Friday, November 13, 2009, 7:05 AM
>
> On Nov 12, 6:25 pm, Wayne Radochonski wayne.radochon...@yahoo.com
> wrote:
> > MBARI (Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute) has deployed a Beagle in 300 meters of water for more than a week to acoustically record any movement of mud down Monterey Canyon.
> >
> > I have attached a small WAV file that was record by the Beagleboard while being pinged by a sonar (10 Khz, every few seconnds) from a ship on the surface about 500 meters away. You can clearly hear the ship screws as well as some multipath reflections.
> >
> > Also, attached are Spectrum.pdf (a power spectrum plot of the attached audio data, look for the peak at 10 KHz) and Beagle_noise.png (a plot of the noise floor of the Beagle, out of the box with the audio inputs grounded).
> >
> > The on board audio won’t make Tom Clancy sit up and take notice but its good enough for many purposes (even MBARI’s wacky use).
> >
> > Our next deployment is 11/24. I promise photos of the Beagle on the bottom but our deployment will be for several months, so you’ll have to wait a while for any “sounds from the deep”.
> >
> > Wayne
> >
> > Happiness does not come from having much, but from being attached to little.
>
> You know what else is Zen?–presenting at the eTech Day Community
> Lightning Talks: http://tinyurl.com/etechlightning. :slight_smile:
>
> –
>
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Beagle Board” group.
> To post to this group, send email to beagleboard@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to beagleboard+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard?hl=.

|

you sign up by visiting the wiki page and adding your presentation to a table entry. upload your slides by monday, log into irc 20 minutes before your event and then call in from a land line (not speakerphone) to give your talk. everyone will download the slides to look at while you are giving your talk. questions will come over the irc channel and i will repeat them over the phone. this should all be covered on the wiki page. if you attend the full conference on-line, you should also be able to hear the other presenters via the stream.

Wayne, could you elaborate on your EHCI problems? Are these the same
issues everyone's been dealing with?

Regards,

~Akram.

Akram

The EHCI problem that MBARI has encountered seems to be the same one reported at length in this forum.

Our application writes about 250 GB of audio data per month to USB hard drives. Our EHCI problem manifested itself as a write failure on the EHCI port 5 minutes to one hour after the application was started.

MBARI purchased our Beagles from Digikey; about 60% percent of the boards we purchased had the EHCI problem out of the box, the other 40% did not. Some USB drives seem more tolerant of the Beagle’s EHCI port. We have had better luck with Western Digital’s Passport drives than the similar Toshiba drives. YMMV.

Jason(?) or Gerald(?) were kind enough to repair a few of MBARI’s Beagles, which cured the EHCI problem on some of boards but not all of them. We only deploy those Beagles that haven’t been reworked and don’t manifest the EHCI write failure.

MBARI has enough well mannered Beagles to continue our research, but we’re anxiously awaiting rev C4.

The EHCI port has a power switch. Can the USB port be turned off from userland?

Our deployments require several hundred alkaline batteries; we would like to minimize spinning the USB drive when audio is being buffered into a huge 150MB SDRAM buffer.

Completely off topic: My Dutch Shepherd (an OES/FEMA certified search dog) wants to know how to get a board named after her breed.

Wayne

— On Sun, 11/15/09, Akram adhameed@gmail.com wrote:

> From: Akram adhameed@gmail.com
> Subject: [beagleboard] Re: Beagle Audio? – The Hunt for Red "Mud"tober
> To: “Beagle Board” beagleboard@googlegroups.com
> Date: Sunday, November 15, 2009, 7:38 PM
>
> Wayne, could you elaborate on your EHCI problems? Are these the same
> issues everyone’s been dealing with?
>
> Regards,
>
> ~Akram.
>
> On Nov 14, 9:09 am, Jason Kridner jkrid...@beagleboard.org wrote:
> > you sign up by visiting the wiki page and adding your presentation to a
> > table entry. upload your slides by monday, log into irc 20 minutes before
> > your event and then call in from a land line (not speakerphone) to give your
> > talk. everyone will download the slides to look at while you are giving your
> > talk. questions will come over the irc channel and i will repeat them over
> > the phone. this should all be covered on the wiki page. if you attend the
> > full conference on-line, you should also be able to hear the other
> > presenters via the stream.
> >
> > On Nov 13, 2009 1:09 PM, “Wayne Radochonski” wayne.radochon...@yahoo.com
> > wrote:
> >
> > Jason
> >
> > MBARI does some fairly mundane stuff with the Beagles; recording audio,
> > running instruments and high level motion control for underwater robotics.
> > Of course, our environment is a bit more challenging than some due to the
> > pressure and lack of electrical sockets.
> >
> > We put together our acoustic recorder in less than a week and suffered
> > through the EHCI problems :frowning:
> >
> > How does one sign up for a talk? (talks are “presented” through the magic of
> > the Internet, I presume)
> >
> > Wayne Happiness does not come from having much, but from being attached to
> > little.
> > — On Fri, 11/13/09, Jason Kridner jkrid...@beagleboard.org wrote:
> >
> > From: Jason Kridner jkrid...@beagleboard.org
> > Subject: [beagleboard] Re: Beagle Audio? – The Hunt for Red "Mud"tober
> > To: “Beagle Board” beagleboard@googlegroups.com
> > Date: Friday, November 13, 2009, 7:05 AM
> >
> > > > On Nov 12, 6:25 pm, Wayne Radochonski wayne.radochon...@yahoo.com >
> >
> > wrote: > > MBARI (Montere…
> >
> > – You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > “Beagle Board” group…
>
> –
>
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Beagle Board” group.
> To post to this group, send email to beagleboard@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to beagleboard+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard?hl=.

|

Hello Wayne,

Leon

Thanks for a laugh… my dog will get right on that SCUBA certification after she completes helicopter flight training. Hard to do without thumbs but she has mastered the “high four”.

I was joking naming about a board after this Dutch breed My dog and I have been working together for nine years in Search and Rescue, but I still can’t pronounce “Hollandse Herdershond”. I won’t even attempt “Koninklijke Nederlandse Politiehond Vereniging”.

The Dutch have some awesome working dogs! I’m lucky enough to work one.

Wayne

Completely off topic: My Dutch Shepherd (an OES/FEMA certified search dog) wants to know how to get a board named after her breed. |

• |

(S)he has to pass PADI Advanced Open Water, have spotted blue spotted rays and dolphins, have read all Tom Clancy novels (except the newer bad ones), be able to bark Scheveningen (in what a Dutch dog would understand as Dutch) and her/his boss should have a brilliant idea of what that board should do.

But then it would be a Dutchboard.

Oh, well, I’ll buy at least two of them if they had the expansion connector pins at 5V levels instead of 1.8V (grin)

Is there any way to put the disk in non-spinning (“idle”) mode? Did you also consider audio lossless compression (compress, gzip)? (a 100% running OMAP could be less power hungry than your 100% running hard disk)

alf