beagleboard and beaglebone not working!!!!

Hello experts,

I am having beagleboard and beaglebone both and was installing opencv on ubuntu on beagleboard-XM. Beaglebone has default Angstrom installed.

Beaglebone problem:
I tried to work on it after many a days, as soon as I connected beaglebone to my laptop today via usb port, it showed the booting steps and gave me the login prompt but I was not able to write anything and then the putty quit itself, from then onwards it hasn`t booted up!!!

As soon as I insert the usb plug into the beaglebone, It blinks a led and then nothing!!
nothing is displayed on “dmesg” except one time where it said something like no response for usb device…
The beaglebone is booting up when I power it from power adapter but not able to see the serial output as the USB is not working… :frowning:

Beagleboard probem:
while installing a few libraries into ubuntu in beagleboard-XM. I was using a usb keyboard and ethernet . All of a sudden message start appearing showing some kernel stuff and reporting error - 71 (dont know what it is)

from then onwards the usb ports and ethernet are not working too!!!
just the beagleboard is booting up and none of the usb ports & ethernet are working!!

Kindly help. I badly need your assistance.

–Regards,
saurabh
http://about.me/shandilyasaurabh
www.beyondszine.wordpress.com

error -71 sounds like the ehci erraturm..

Replace your currently running kernel with these uImage/zImage and modules

http://rcn-ee.homeip.net:81/testing/beagleboard/sprz319-erratum-2.1-3.2.24-x14/

and please retest.. (the patch for this isn't enabled by default as
it causes older Beagle (C4) to hardlock on bootup)..

Regards,

Hello experts,

I am having beagleboard and beaglebone both and was installing opencv on
ubuntu on beagleboard-XM. Beaglebone has default Angstrom installed.

Beaglebone problem:
I tried to work on it after many a days, as soon as I connected beaglebone
to my laptop today via usb port, it showed the booting steps and gave me the
login prompt but I was not able to write anything and then the putty quit
itself, from then onwards it hasn`t booted up!!!

As soon as I insert the usb plug into the beaglebone, It blinks a led and
then nothing!!
nothing is displayed on “dmesg” except one time where it said something like
no response for usb device…
The beaglebone is booting up when I power it from power adapter but not able
to see the serial output as the USB is not working… :frowning:

Beagleboard probem:
while installing a few libraries into ubuntu in beagleboard-XM. I was using
a usb keyboard and ethernet . All of a sudden message start appearing
showing some kernel stuff and reporting error - 71 (dont know what it is)

error -71 sounds like the ehci erraturm…

Yes, you are exacty right something like ehci was written up there.

Replace your currently running kernel with these uImage/zImage and modules

http://rcn-ee.homeip.net:81/testing/beagleboard/sprz319-erratum-2.1-3.2.24-x14/

and please retest… (the patch for this isn’t enabled by default as
it causes older Beagle (C4) to hardlock on bootup)…

I am surely going to replace the kernel in it by the evening,

But can you please point the problem with Beaglebone too!!
I am getting highly worried for my Beaglebone too!

Moreover in the Beagleboard FAQ’s

Why doesn’t my BeagleBoard or BeagleBoard-xM work when I power it over USB?

• The first and primary reason is that the validation image shipped with the board today is based on a 2.6.32 kernel with a bug in the USB interrupt management. This bug has been fixed on newer kernels, but those kernels have not yet been added to the BeagleBoard’s validation image. A patched version of the 2.6.39 kernel is currently being implemented to support BeagleBoard validation and this bug is expected to go away.
  • A secondary reason is that the default boot condition of the kernel is to power up peripheral interfaces like the EHCI-based USB host on the xM and DVI-D on both pre-xM and xM boards. The USB specification requires devices to power up under 100mA (~500mW) and the USB hub circuit on the BeagleBoard-xM may consume around 100mA itself. Modification is required to the kernel to avoid powering up this section of the board until sufficient current is confirmed by the software. In practice, most host machines will provide sufficient power, despite this violation of the specification. You should consider your power requirements before attempting to utilize USB to power your BeagleBoard or BeagleBoard-xM.

But I am trying to power my Beaglebone without SD card, but still it is simply just blinking the power led a single time only.
If it has been a bug in kernel then it may come because of the booting from the SD-card, but I am simply trying to power it up without the SD card.

Kindly Help!!