[beagleboard] Anyone get Debian Squeeze or Wheezy running on the BB Black?

It should be the top hit in google for "beaglebone black wheezy"

Grab Wheezy from:
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian#Demo_Image

(With the Wheezy release happening this weekend, I will be removing
all the old "squeeze" stuff..)

Regards,

The “sudo” command is not available in Angstrom and the opkg command in Angstrom fails to find anything. I’m a bit stumped.

Jim

Ah... Use another linux pc to (running either:
ubuntu/debian/fedora/gentoo/etc) to create the SD card..

Regards,

Win32DiskImager works fine. In fact, that is exactly what out instructions say to do.

Gerald

Ah... Use another linux pc to (running either:
ubuntu/debian/fedora/gentoo/etc) to create the SD card..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Robert, but at the moment I don't have another Linux computer, only a
Windoze PC running Win7 pro. I can write images to SD cards using
Win32DiskImager and did that successfully with the RPi. Can I do the same
with this one?

No, they are lucky as they only have one board.. In my case the script
supports 4 generations of Beagles, 2 generations of Panda and a lot of
other custom options...

If this isn't possible, I may have to set up a Linux OS on an extra 250 gig
HD I have and run dual-boot.

If you have enough ram, an ubuntu live dvd also works (you can install
packages in that environment).. With the help of an usb stick to hold
demo image so you don't have to redownload..

Rgards,

Ah! All those boards? Hmm, I guess I need to get busy and create another 10 boards then!!

Gerald

Thanks for all the help. I really need to set up a version of Linux - probably Debian as I’m already somewhat familiar with it anyway - on my extra HD. I also have a 1 TB external USB drive on the system that I keep my windoze backups & critical data duplicated on so the second main drive in the 'puter will work just fine for Linux. Hopefully at age 71 I can retain enough smarts to get this done - LOL.

Thanks again for answering my questions so promptly.

Jim

For fun, can you make them all have a unique bootloader that's
non-upgradable and does thing random.. :wink:

Regards,

No. I think having one bootloader and a kernel that uses Device Tree is enough fun!!

Gerald

Now there's a Dilbert cartoon!

When I think of Device Tree I envision a giant oak tree with long branches and SW programmers hanging from ropes!

Gerald

Hello Robert,
Thanks for all the help. I now have your image loaded and running on a 16 gig SD card. It’s a bit slow, being a class-4 card, but all I had at the time. I’ve got some 32 gig SanDisk HC cards coming and will re-do the system on that. Right now, I’m loading the Gnome desktop on the card as I’m more used to working from the GUI than the command line at the moment.

Jim

Or, just follow the excellent instructions detailed by Robert Nelson @ http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black#BeagleBoneBlack-Comments

Personally, since Robert seems to be the person with all the instructions, scripts, knowledge, etc. I would prefer following his instructions. Especially since I believe I have seen that blog post already, and he is using Roberts instructions, with perhaps a few additional scripts of his own ( possibly just duplicating Roberts instructions, but as a bash script ). Or, maybe I am wrong.

Gerald,
Are you the BeagleBoard creator? Very cool stuff. I want to do continuous data acquisition via the onboard 12-bit ADC, save data to the SD card, and then processing the data in Octave. It looks like Debian wheezy is the way to go, though I will need ti find a data acq application. Does this sound doable?

Hoping to throw away my 20 PCs running Matlab.

Thanks much,
Steve

Yea I am. It does sound doable. But you need to flush it out a little more. You need to answer questions like:

1. How many channels per board?
  2. How often do you need to read them?

Gerald