[beagleboard] Archos 5 as Dev platform?

Any idea how hackable the hardware is?

Thanks

Thanh

Thanh Tran wrote:

Any idea how hackable the hardware is?

for gen6 archos releases a "dev ed" firmware that lets you hack the unit, for gen7 it is "in the making"...

Hi~

I think the ODROID is much more hackable because it comes with
schematics/debugging hw tools.
Here are some interesting links.

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/HardKernel-Odroid/
http://www.hardkernel.com/
http://dev.odroid.com/projects/odroid/wiki/HardwareInformation?action=show&r
edirect=Hardwareinformation

I want to buy this one if it is $250 or less...

Thanks,

Hi Justin & Vladimir

Thanks for the info. I saw the Odroid earlier from this board. Not to thrilled with the price tag (compared to the Always Innovating Touch Book which could be bought for $300 with an 8.9" LCD). I think I like the Archos since it has a DSP to play with and with a bigger screen (800x480) compared to the 480x320 of the Odroid. The Archos also has lower price and a built in GPS so it would be more fun. Hopefully we can access to the Jtag & HDMI?

Thanks

-Thanh

— On Mon, 1/11/10, Justin Lee freeware3430@gmail.com wrote:


> From: Justin Lee freeware3430@gmail.com
> Subject: RE: [beagleboard] Archos 5 as Dev platform?
> To: beagleboard@googlegroups.com
> Date: Monday, January 11, 2010, 6:39 PM
>
> Hi~
>
> I think the ODROID is much more hackable because it comes with
> schematics/debugging hw tools.
> Here are some interesting links.
>
> http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/HardKernel-Odroid/
> http://www.hardkernel.com/
> http://dev.odroid.com/projects/odroid/wiki/HardwareInformation?action=show&r
> edirect=Hardwareinformation
>
> I want to buy this one if it is $250 or less…
>
> Thanks,
> -----Original Message-----
> From: beagleboard@googlegroups.com [mailto:beagleboard@googlegroups.com] On
> Behalf Of Thanh Tran
> Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:16 AM
> To: beagleboard@googlegroups.com
> Subject: Re: [beagleboard] Archos 5 as Dev platform?
>
> Any idea how hackable the hardware is?
>
> Thanks
>
> Thanh
>
> On Jan 4, 2010, at 4:17 AM, Vladimir Pantelic pan@nt.tu-darmstadt.de
> wrote:
>
> Koen Kooi wrote:
>
> Op 3 jan 2010, om 21:55 heeft pezman het volgende geschreven:
>
> I’ve seen some rumblings about this. Anyone have experience with the new
> dev firmware, and does it run on the new platform, the old platform or both?
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/28/archos-releases-developer-edition-firmwar
> e-for-internet-tablets/
>
> The new Archos 5 is $250 at Radio Shack in the U.S., which seems like a
> bargain for the hardware, considering it has a 5" capacitive screen, HDMI
> out, WIFI and even GPS hardware built in.
>
> I haven’t been able to discover the hdmi out nor the gps hardware, they seem
> to require optional add-ons. My 5g is being helpfull by opening a browser to
> their e-store to purchase the gps and hdmi options when trying to use them,
> though :slight_smile:
>
> both gen6 and gen7 have hdmi out with the optional “cradle” (DVR station).
> gen7 has gps inside, gen6 needs the “gps car holder” which provides the gps
> receiver…
>
> –
>
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> “Beagle Board” group.
> To post to this group, send email to beagleboard@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> beagleboard+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard?hl=en.
>
> –
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Beagle Board” group.
> To post to this group, send email to beagleboard@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to beagleboard+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard?hl=en.

|

Thanh Tran wrote:

Hi Justin & Vladimir

Thanks for the info. I saw the Odroid earlier from this board. Not to
thrilled with the price tag (compared to the Always Innovating Touch
Book which could be bought for $300 with an 8.9" LCD). I think I like
the Archos since it has a DSP to play with and with a bigger screen
(800x480) compared to the 480x320 of the Odroid. The Archos also has
lower price and a built in GPS so it would be more fun. Hopefully we can
access to the Jtag & HDMI?

JTAG I doubt will be accessible and HDMI is party built into the optional
DVR-station as far as I know.

Hi all,

actually the board (C3) was running for hours, then I got some ugly lines and signs at the projector output and I was wondering. The next startup was ending with:

40V

Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.4.2 (Feb 19 2009 - 12:01:24)
Unsupported Chip!

I tried to recover with the all known methods, but no results.

Now I'm a bit confused, because I did nothing physically with the board or any connected part.
U5 is becoming quite hot and that seems to be not very normal...

Any suggestions?

Sascha

If U5 is running hot, that is most likely and indication your issue. Basically the message says that it can not read the NAND and does not recognize it as a supported device. I think the best thing to do is request an RMA and get it looked at.

Gerald