[beagleboard] BBB No video over HDMI

Yes, it took at least 45 minutes. I’m trying the flash again.

Chuck W.

Make sure you remove the SD card before you re-apply power. It can cause the board to hang. It happens to be oh, at least once a day.

Gerald

The bad flash was an ID-10-T error.

I can’t login as “Boot”, the BBB wants a password. I have tried nothing and have tried giving it a password. So I logged in as root and got this:

root@beaglebone:~# cd /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/
root@beaglebone:/sys/class/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1# parse-edid edid
parse-edid: parse-edid version 2.0.0
parse-edid: IO error reading EDID
Chuck W.

Login is “root”.

For the EDID parse to work you need this version http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/angstrom/beaglebone/test-only-not-for-production-BBB-eMMC-flasher-2013.05.15.img.xz

This is a test image for our next production release on 5/20. It has the parse function included.

Gerald

Thanks. The instructions here say to login as “boot” FYI. I thought it sounded funny. I was logged in as “root”.

I downloaded and flashed the image you gave me in an earlier post. Has it changed in the last ~4 hours?

Chuck W.

It changes pretty much every day when it comes to experimental images. We tested it today. The parse works on this updated version.

The page was also updated about an hour ago with the expeimental link… http://circuitco.com/support/index.php?title=BeagleBoneBlack_HDMI

Gerald

Ok - Like I posted before, step 3 has you logging in as “boot”. I followed the instructions (as root) and parse edid isn’t working for me. I posted the input/output above. I’m using Gate-one as a terminal since there isn’t a display. I don’t know if this makes a difference?

I’m out for the night. Have a good one.

Chuck W.

Parse-edid is reporting version string so it is there therefore the image is fine but the edid file is empty so either edid is not being read back from monitor or what is being read back and rejected for bad checksum or something. I think we have to get the kernel log with drm.debug=7 set. Does the cable definitely work with something else with a sensible resolution?

I will correct it. My mistake…

Gerald

It has been corrected.

Gerald

The cable is untested, brand new from Newegg. Perhaps I’ll take the BBB to Walmart or Target and hook it up to a newer display. I’ll get back to you. Thanks Gerald and Darren.

Thanks - I need to test my mini-HDMI cable first. Then I will figure out what to do from there.

Chuck W.

Update - I brought my BBB to work and tested the HDMI out on two Sony 52" HDTVs. Neither worked using the my mini-HDMI cable. I hooked up a coworker’s cell phone my cable and got nothing. Another coworker has a mini HDMI to DVI converter. That worked on both the BBB and the cell phone.

Long story short: I have requested an RMA for the cable from Newegg.

When I get a new cable I will post results.

Chuck W.

Yes - I am running x11vnc server on the BBB right now. There’s a great thread on this board for setting that up and having it run forever.

Chuck W.

Here’s the StackOverflow question I asked regarding getting the x11vnc server to run forever with links to the blog and google group thread.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16650672/x11vnc-server-exits-when-i-close-tightvnc-viewer

Chuck W.

It’s good to see that my guide is helping others out. There was a suggestion to make it simpler but I haven’t had a chance to check it out. I will try to check it this weekend and update the guide if it works.

-Wil

It's good to see that my guide is helping others out. There was a suggestion to make it simpler

It's just 2 commands:

opkg update ; opkg install angstrom-x11vnc-xinit

Ok thanks. I’ll try it either tonight or tomorrow.

-Wil

You cannot change anything on the resolutions. It is being worked on. Maybe someday the work will pay off.

Gerald

I have received an RMA confirmation from Newegg on my cable. I asked for a replacement cable. After looking at the specs though, I am beginning to wonder if this cable is compatible with the BBB HDMI port.

Here is a description and link to the cable:

675793 6 ft. High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet ,Type D Micro M/M Cable

The part that has me concerned is the “with Ethernet”. Is this the wrong cable?

Chuck W.