[beagleboard] BeagleBoard Black Built in 2GB Storage

The eMMC is done via Linux. You boot form Linux via the SD slot and copy the data over. It is descried on the support WikI. circuitco.com/support.

There is no fuse prevention to prevent people from reading the eMMC. It is a peripheral on the board external to the processor.

The EEPROM can be read by anyone via SW.

Gerald

I see that this page describes how to flash the eMMC. It includes links to prebuilt distributions that flash the eMMC when you hold the boot button. Are there instructions somewhere that describe how you can flash custom distributions?

For the moment, assuming your eMMC is blank on the BBB, i have
directions for first booting Ubuntu/Debian on the BBB via the SD card
and then transferring that image to the eMMC device..

(Script is under the eMMC section, still a work in progress.)
http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black

I still need to tweak those directions for the production image's
default bootloader of course..

Regards,

Thanks Robert! It looks like you wipe and partition the eMMC, mount the partitions and then copy the files. I’m curious though - it there an advantage or need to use rsync instead of tar when copying the files?

Thanks Robert! It looks like you wipe and partition the eMMC, mount the

I'm working on a patch to change the script to do the full 'wipe' only
when the partition table does not exist.. So less strain on the eMMC..

partitions and then copy the files. I'm curious though - it there an
advantage or need to use rsync instead of tar when copying the files?

tar works fine if you have a "tar" image. :wink: My script's current
design is to assume you've setup the sd card the way you want and
you'd like to copy it exactly to the eMMC.. So far rsync seems to be
doing that well, of course I've only tested it on one prototype
beaglebone black, so it'll be interesting as more people use it..

Regards,

John,

I was told by the Avnet Rep that we can do that negotiation when we were a little further along in the project. We have a little extra because it is not just one component from TI but several in the design, so that should make a difference. If you are ready to do the negotiations I can get you in contact with a few vendors you can work with, as I am sure Anne can also do. I do suggest we do it as a package, and not as a group of independent parts.

Sincerely,

Mike Fontes

rsync can recreate/preserve special files and device nodes. See its man page. tar does not.