[beagleboard] Beagleboard GSoC proposal -Re: Human presence detection project

Hi Cathy,
I am still looking for comments and suggestions on this topic. I am talking to one of the mentors offline. Let me know your feedback on this topic. Thank you.

Mohammad Rahman

Hi Rahman,
            How would someone access images taken by this devices? Would there be a web page served by the device that would enable someone to remotely access and preview pictures taken? Would the device send an email notification when someone is detected with a picture? Would the ROI be settable through a web interface? What existing open source might you leverage? Would you integrate an apache server and make web pages for it on the fly? How would Beagle connect to the network? Would it use an available Wi-Fi interface? What about background substraction? Why not use something simpler like this? Would you be able to match people you had previously seen and group them somehow? I think adding some additional features like above could make this much more interesting/compelling.
BR,
Leo

Hi Leo,
Here is my response to your comments.

How would someone access images taken by this devices? → My idea is to send the image to some mobile device (maybe cell phone)

Would there be a web page served by the device that would enable someone to remotely access and preview pictures taken? → This is another possibility. It is also possible to send the info to a secured web page. Client need to log into that page to see the information

Would the device send an email notification when someone is detected with a picture? If it is sent to a mobile device, a sms/mms notification will be sent. For web page based service it would be a email notification.

Would the ROI be settable through a web interface? ROI might not be configurable through web interface. As it is a fixed usb camera covering a certain portion of the room. For the moment I am thinking about a one way communication. However, it is also possible to control the camera from receiver side through web interface. But for that case we need additional device to control the camera (rotate or move the camera). It could be a possible extension of the project.

What existing open source might you leverage?
I will need opensource for capturing the camera image and for the transmission of the info through wireless network.

Would you integrate an apache server and make web pages for it on the fly? → I am not very proficient on the web development side. Initial idea is to send the information to some mobile device or in email. However, I can do it with the help of a web developer. We can add one more student either on the web developer or communication side to make the project more interesting and add more options.

How would Beagle connect to the network? Would it use an available Wi-Fi interface? → Yes, I am planning to use the Wi-Fi interface.

What about background substraction? Why not use something simpler like this? Would you be able to match people you had previously seen and group them somehow? → Background subtraction is simpler but it might create more false alarm. However, it could be background subtraction first and then decide a ROI where background seems to change and then process that area to confirm human presence.

Thanks for you well though comments and suggestions. If we can add one more student on the communication or network side we can even add more options to it and make it more robust and user friendly. Let me know what you think.

Rahman

Hi Rahman,
I recommend you add the web interface to your project. I can show you how to get an apache server configured on the board. You will also need an open source JPEG encoder.
BR,
Leo

Hi Leo,
Thanks for the suggestion. I will add that option in my proposal.

Rahman