[beagleboard] BeagleBone announcement

Uh easily programmable?
Linux device drivers required

From Android 4G on HTC Sense dual core SnapDragon.

Uh easily programmable?

That's the idea, but it'll simplify over time. If you are looking for
really great ease of use and that is your key care-about, I'd
recommend coming back in the summer.

Linux device drivers required

No Linux device drivers that haven't already been shipping for years
are required.

We used a USB PID registered to TI (the one for the XDS100v2) for the
FTDI device that will require adding a udev rule until patches land in
your Linux kernel.... or you can simply invoke the driver from the
command-line using modprobe. The g_ether doesn't require any special
config... just shows up as a USB network adapter with a DHCP server.
The JTAG stuff works with TI's Code Composer Studio v5, but folks are
trying to get it to work with OpenOCD as well. That just uses
libftdi, so again, no Linux device drivers required.

Of course, the other ways to interface your Linux PC to it, such as
Ethernet, don't require any drivers either. If you run Avahi, you'll
notice the board advertises some of its services, including 'ssh' and
'cloud9'.

And, of course, you are always free to replace the entire system code.

The build process is better aligned with upstream than previous board
launches, so rebuilding the system shouldn't require any funny steps
that might be difficult to reproduce. I'll provide a commit-id for
the shipping image.

May I ask you guys how many PWM outputs does the BeagleBone have?

Thanks in advance.

Up to 8.

Gerald

Wow, awesome

Wow, awesome

Up to 8.

With some concern of getting too far ahead of myself: not in the
kernel today, but the kernel can do low-resolution PWMs with GPIOs
under the restrictions of the kernel latency. Also, when the tools
mature, the PRUs will also be able to provide PWM functionality.

Beaglebone is a direct competitor to Arduino! Great work, TI!

Beaglebone is a direct competitor to Arduino! Great work, TI!

These are really exciting times and Beaglebone is truly exhilarating news, however Arduino’s are in an altogether different league, in spite of it’s very humble specs.

The popularity of Arduinos is not their hardware, i.e. the Arduino boards, or the sheilds. It is the software and the level it abstracts the hardware to.
Hardware more capable and elegant have existed before Arduino (Wiring! mbeds, the wide range of Olimex’s), or ones that were hacker friendly (Propellers), but Arduino stole it, because of it’s software, it’s beautiful software-hardware integration, open-source everything and a very inclusive approach to the community. This, in spite of the fact that, as a company Atmel isn’t easy to deal with, from hacker community standpoint. Try ordering samples from them :slight_smile:

More than a year back (or so), when MSP430’s Valueline protoboards started selling for $4.30 (including shipping, expedited 2nd day, world-wide – for free), people said that it’s an Arduino killer. With the order of magnitude price difference, it ought to have been, but unfortunately none of that happened. Reason is anyone’s guess.

IMHO, key to Beaglebone (or other similar) board’s true mass adoption will be driven to a large extent by software ease-of-use without sacrificing flexibility. The good thing is that a POSIX kernel/OS and userland comes for free in form of Linux / Android, once the BSP is ported. However, asking a newbie who has tried building their own Angstrom kernel+root image, how they fared, I think it’s clear that lot needs to be done. The Beagles are lot more complex and capable beasts, and software to tame / harness them is an order-of-magnitude harder. For a artist-hacker, or an embedded n00b, Android learning curve is nothing compared to the Beagle’s learning curve, or the effort to get a Beagle to a point where it is usable. I guess, the day Beagles get Arduino like (from ease and don’t-make-me-think) SDK / developer capabilities, the scale of adoption might drive the price in the current Arduino ranges (Ah, dreaming, already).