[beagleboard] BeagleBone Forum

Ugh,

Not again! not sure why anyone would want to add further to fragmentation of the beagle community. While I can’t speak for anyone but my self, I want to post my queries and assist in a forum where the beagle wizards and developers hang out and that’s here. I’m not trying to down anyone else’s idea for other resources, after all variety is the spice of life as has been said, but my experience has shown that the best answers and help are given and received right here where the beagle wizards hang out.

Eric

While I would agree that we don’t need another forum I would suggest that what we do need is a collaborative and moderated wiki space. While this forum has been a lifeline for a number of issues, the priceless information that is contained here is a) not organized in any meaningful way, b) somewhat limited in the depth of information that can be conveyed and c) transitory in that the threads become invisible as they age (unless you’re paying direct attention age old posts).

A wiki space on the other hand would capture in-depth and continuously improving topical information in one place for eternity. Re-inventing the wheel would be a thing of the past and we could all focus on the discriminating aspects of our work rather than grappling with issues that have already been solved a thousand times.

Comments?

like elinux.org?

While I would agree that we don’t need another forum I would suggest that what we do need is a collaborative and moderated wiki space. While this forum has been a lifeline for a number of issues, the priceless information that is contained here is a) not organized in any meaningful way,

Of course it isn’t organized - its a mailing list.

b) somewhat limited in the depth of information that can be conveyed

Huh? I’ve learned more about the Linux kernel from this board than I have in the past decade of using Linux.

and c) transitory in that the threads become invisible as they age (unless you’re paying direct attention age old posts).

Have you heard of this wonderful tool called Google? It has retrieved information from this group for me going back to its origin.

A wiki space on the other hand would capture in-depth and continuously improving topical information in one place for eternity. Re-inventing the wheel would be a thing of the past and we could all focus on the discriminating aspects of our work rather than grappling with issues that have already been solved a thousand times.

Everyone has an itch to scratch I guess. Send a link when you get it running.

Comments?

Best regards,
Blake Morgan

It is worth adding that elinux.org is the most official wiki you can
get for how-to execute projects with a BeagleBoard. Please contribute
to it rather than creating another wiki. It is both collaborative and
moderated. I admit to needing spend more time cleaning up items on
it, but better to bug me about doing that than to create another space
to watch.

BeagleBoard.org is open for patches, but isn't as dynamic as a wiki.
The CircuitCo wiki is for official communications from them and isn't
for public editing.

Jason, fabulous idea. What’s the best way to contribute?

I am interesting in writing up some of the stuff I have learned that is specific to the BeagleBone rather then the BeagleBoard. I noticed elinux.org has a section for the BeagleBoard and the Pi. Is there a way to get a section going for the BeagleBone and have some people start contributing articles.

I am interesting in writing up some of the stuff I have learned that is specific to the BeagleBone rather then the BeagleBoard. I noticed elinux.org has a section for the BeagleBoard and the Pi. Is there a way to get a section going for the BeagleBone and have some people start contributing articles.

But watch out for anti-patterns like this:

http://elinux.org/RPi_GPIO

"on the pi you can do 'echo number > /sys/class/gpio/export' to export the gpio"

http://elinux.org/BeagleC4_GPIO:

"on the beagleboard c4 you can do 'echo number > /sys/class/gpio/export' to export the gpio"

http://elinux.org/BeaglexM_GPIO:

"on the beagleboard xM you can do 'echo number > /sys/class/gpio/export' to export the gpio"

http://elinux.org/Beaglebone_GPIO:

"on the beaglebone you can do 'echo number > /sys/class/gpio/export' to export the gpio"

The above is a large problem with 'embedded', people think their device is the only unique snowflake in the world and refuse to admit lots of things are just generic to linux or busybox, not to their device. Sentences starting with "The beaglebone uses $app to..." make me cry inside, please say something like "The default SD card that comes with the beaglebone uses $app to..." or even better "$app can be used to..." so you don't get copies of that article for all combinations of ubuntu/gentoo/arch/debian and beagleboard/panda/pi/etc.

Elinux works around that by bribing the people involved with candy and pizza at conferences :slight_smile:

regards,

Koen

Agreed, there is enough fear of development on the embedded side thinking that there is massive fracturing in the software layers. I have been finding out just how bad some of the information is out there. But at the same time how great the community is.

Cheers,

Gregg