[beagleboard-gsoc] BeagleBone as a Data Collection / Analysis / Visualization Module

I’m a MPhil student at the University of Worcester in Computing (UK), my BSc was in Physics from the University of Wisconsin - River Falls, and I intend on continuing to a PhD in Computer Science – studying data visualization. Anyhow, I had a project Idea that I thought I’d share before submission and perhaps get your thoughts. I would like to work towards making the beaglebone a data collection/analysis/
visualization tool. The beaglebones hardware – especially the availability of analog ports – makes it a very good candidate in my opinion for use as an all-in-one portable data processing machine. The only thing that is missing is a piece of software that ties together the hardware (collection) with analysis and visualization. Now, I have some experience with 3D visualization tools (processing, Blender 3D), and I can see a customized version of either of these software suites being a perfect on that end. Paired with a custom interface – perhaps built in python or JS?

something like webGL for visualization?

something like webGL for visualization?

That could certainly be a low-resource way of doing it. I’d like to try some different approaches with it (R? Blender? Processing?) and see which suits the hardware whilst giving the best visuals.