[beagleboard] Kernel [def]Config Confusion (Or, is USB Turned Off In The Console Image?)

Here is the output Paul requested. This was taken by logging into the minicom terminal which is ttyS2. I still cannot log into ttyS1 with my USB keyboard. ttyS1 is the HDMI-to-DVI terminal. It has beautiful blue characters but I can't get my keyboard to be recognized:

Angstrom 2009.X-stable beagleboard ttyS2

beagleboard login: root
root@beagleboard:~# cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

T: Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=480 MxCh= 3
B: Alloc= 0/800 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0002 Rev= 2.06
S: Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.29-omap1 ehci_hcd
S: Product=OMAP-EHCI Host Controller
S: SerialNumber=ehci-omap.0
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr= 0mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 4 Ivl=256ms
root@beagleboard:~#

The OS only sees the on-chip EHCI controller, it doesn't see anything connected to it, not even your hub.

I am pretty sure that the hub I'm using works, because it does on a different computer I'm using.

Later tonight or tomorrow, I will try the demo build again to see if it recognizes the hub and keyboard. I hope I didn't ruin the USB port on the Beagle.

Three more things: I can see messages in ttyS1 before the "Angstrom" logo about starting runlevel 5. As a Fedora 12 user, I know that is supposed to be an X windows runlevel, but the image I'm using is named as a console image (admittedly with an 'X' in the filename.) Could that be part of the problem?

Also, I went back to ttyS2 (my serial port based minicom window) and listed the ttys of interest:

root@beagleboard:~# ls -al /dev/ttyS2
crw------- 1 root root 4, 66 Jan 30 10:27 /dev/ttyS2
root@beagleboard:~# ls -al /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 65 Jan 1 1970 /dev/ttyS1
root@beagleboard:~#

and I wonder if ttyS1 being in the dialout group is affecting me here?

Lastly, how do I access kernel messages? What is the filename and path for it? I'm accustomed to browsing /var/log/messages in Fedora. They don't seem to have that name in Angstrom.

Thanks again for your very helpful advice!

Bob

"dmesg" should dump the console output, plus more. That would be good to see.

Here is a pastebin of my dmesg output.

http://pastebin.com/m28a3cd7a

Can you help determine why my USB is not working? I would really like to be able to get it working. Perhaps I'm not doing something to activate the USB...I've read about needing a new u-boot to get EHCI to work, but I'm not quite sure if that is the issue here?

All the openembedded/Angstrom files are based on the instructions for building Angstrom. That means I have not tried to incorporate anything from Khasim. Maybe I should be building his version of u-boot?

I also took photos of the Beagle so that you can see how I have it set up. I will edit the photos and post them somewhere so you can see what I've done to the Beagle and perhaps correct something I've done wrong.

Thanks a lot!

Bob

Hi Bob,

Here is a pastebin of my dmesg output.

http://pastebin.com/m28a3cd7a

That's a C4 board right?

Unless you patched "U-Boot 2009.06-rc2" with C4 support, the EHCI port
is definitely not going to work...

(U-Boot enables the power for the EHCI port)

In case you don't have a C4 uboot.bin laying around, use the latest
uboot.bin from here:
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/demo/beagleboard/

Regards,

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much. Yes, this is a C4 board. I don't know how to patch the u-boot files for the C4 board and really need to learn how to. I will try the u-boot you suggest tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help. I'll definitely try this and get back to you.

Bob

I tried to patch 4 files

0001-OMAP3-Beagle-Update-revision-detection.patch
0002-Configure-PRCM-registers-to-support-720-Mhz-on-Beagl.patch
0003-Configure-DSS-to-enable-DVI-D-and-S-Video.patch
0004-Enable-I2C-bus-switching.patch

except the first one, other three patches are not applicable.
How can I patch other three properly?
I just wonder why they have not been commited in u-boot mainline so
since they
are released? or some problems?

Yes! Using the u-boot from the demo Angstrom build for Beagleboard Revision C4 fixes the problem of the apparently dead USB port. With this version of U-Boot, my hub, mouse and keyboard are all recognized.

Really, Khasim's patches belong in the main Angstrom build so that unsuspecting newbies like me will compile it by default. I was really getting worried that I busted my board and it was frustrating not being able to use USB devices.

Thanks

Bob