[beagleboard] My Beaglebone Black will not boot consistently

I have seen similar behavior. I investigated further and it appears that the BB/BBB is intolerant to relatively slow (>~500uS) power supply rise times. I think I previously asked if there was a specification for this. I think the answer from Gerald was "no", so I added a circuit to hold reset until the power was stable. Am I correct Gerald?

HTH,

Dave.

That is why I suggested testing with the reset button as the instigator of the boot process.Whenever it has this issue, hitting the reset button should make it boot.

Gerald

I do not see your board as defective as it does work most of the time…There is another variable at work. Not sure what that variable is .

Try this to gather more information. Redo your power off boot test, but wait 30 seconds before you reapply power before each test.

Gerald

In my case I determined the rise time sensitivity with a 'scope. Supplying power via a pair of relay contacts (very fast rise time) worked 100% of the time over many hundreds of power cycles. Using a power converter with ~1mS rise time failed around 5% of the time.
This behavior was common to all the boards I have seen. I feel it is a "feature" of the PMIC.

Dave.

I have experienced similar issues. Usually after making changes in the OS ( Debian ) sometimes at the kernel level ( recompiling the kernel with different options, that should have no effect on power ). When I started noticing this, I was adding iSCSI initiator support, to the kernel, and it works fine until I start making some changes in relation to ISCSI.

For instance, when I add an iSCSI share to /home, this seems to work fine, but making other similar changes, I will issue “shutdown now -r” Only to have the board power down, then come back up, and failing after a minute or two. Then once I hit S2 I think it is ? Reset button . . . the OS will come back up fine.

With all that said, I am not 100% sure what is happening, but it could be power related maybe ? I am running off of USB, but its a USB 3.0 port.

I want to use my BBB to capture single images from a USB webcam.
Right now i am using a logitech C910 camera which i like a lot.
I am sticking with the Angstrom linux. the included photo-booth application Cheese works with the C910 at lower resolution settings. The C910 will capture at 5Mpx. After some research I chose to try to use avconv to capture images. I entered the following command…

root@BBB:~# avconv -i /dev/video0 -s uxga -vframes 1 /tmp/avconvout.png

here is the result …

avconv version v0.8.4, Copyright © 2000-2012 the Libav developers
built on May 20 2013 13:00:42 with gcc 4.7.3 20130205 (prerelease)
/dev/video0: Operation not permitted

dev/video0 does exist
the -i switch is to specify the input source for the image [ /dev/video0 ]
the -s switch is to choose a resolution [ uxga ]
-vframes is to choose number of frames captured [ 1 ]

Best
Gus in Denver