[BeagleBoard.org] Update by Anuj Deshpande to proposal: Making it easy to start development on BeagleBone Black and BeagleBoard xM by writing Arduino compatible libraries for Linux

Will you be writing this all from scratch or re-using PyBBIO project’s work with required changes?

• Matt

Greetings Matt,

I wasn’t aware you guys are getting updates . I am stilling filling out the details actually.

And most of the functions that people are used to are already there in Bonescript, Energia and PyBBIO. I plan on using their codes for the examples and as a rough guide on how to implement.

I was actually thinking of putting some efforts into creating wiki pages around the examples too. Those help a lot while initially starting out. Something on the lines of Arduino’s site. I’ll have to put those examples up on the wiki and add some explanation about the working.

I am still a little unsure about the USB, WiFi, Ethernet and SD card libraries. If for example, I have booted my OS from the SD card, how can I use the library ? It seems a useful library, especially if you want to run the OS from the onboard memory and use the SD card for data logging.

Similarly, how will Ethernet interfere with the normal working ?

Regards

Anuj

Greetings Matt,

I wasn’t aware you guys are getting updates . I am stilling filling out the details actually.

And most of the functions that people are used to are already there in Bonescript, Energia and PyBBIO. I plan on using their codes for the examples and as a rough guide on how to implement.

I was actually thinking of putting some efforts into creating wiki pages around the examples too. Those help a lot while initially starting out. Something on the lines of Arduino’s site. I’ll have to put those examples up on the wiki and add some explanation about the working.

I am still a little unsure about the USB, WiFi, Ethernet and SD card libraries. If for example, I have booted my OS from the SD card, how can I use the library ?

Can you elaborate on your confusion? Since your project mentions it is using Linux, basic support for USB, WiFi, Ethernet and SD are all provided by the Linux kernel. Any additional support libraries would reside on the file system and be accessible at run-time and can be linked with your application in the typical manner with Linux applications. For a bit of a guide, I’d recommend you look at the mechanisms provided by ‘pkg-config’ to specify the location of and names of libraries provided by a package.

It seems a useful library, especially if you want to run the OS from the onboard memory and use the SD card for data logging.

Similarly, how will Ethernet interfere with the normal working ?

Again, can you elaborate? It will work using the Ethernet driver and TCP/IP stack provided by the Linux kernel.