[beagleboard] USB Hub not working

What are the specifications of your 5V power supply?

Gerald

Sorry for forgetting to specify it.
5V 2.4A

Thanks.

YT

Is this a linear or a switching power supply? Switching power supplies can generate noise on the 5V rail.

Try it without the HDMI and USB cable installed.
Then try it with just the USB cable, no DC power.

Gerald

I am not sure how to differentiate between linear and switching, sorry. I bought this from a surplus store, and I believe it’s from one of the modem/router power supply.

I removed the power supply and using the 5V from the mini USB. Same thing happens, red light under the mouse if plug in after boot, no light under the mouse if plug in before boot. In both situations Angstrom didn’t seem to recognise it.

Question: can I use a smartphone charger that has 5V 2A output to power the BeagleBone through mini USB instead of the barrel jack?

Thanks,
YT

Send me the model number and I will see if I can find it.

What is the make and model of your keyboard and mouse? And the HUB.

In some cases, the charger will work. you can try it.

Gerald

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

Power Supply Model: GlobTek SA-052A4F-2 (and SA-052A4U-2, not sure why they have two model number). It says class 1 power supply. WR92A2400CCP is a string of characters that I am unsure what it is for.
Mouse Model: Macally ICEMOUSE2
I don’t have a keyboard/ usb hub. The hub I’m referring to is the USB host, I directly plug my USB mouse into it. Sorry for the confusion, should have figured out the right terminology.

Regards,
YT

Most likely the issue is that Linux does not have a driver for it. You might check if there is one for it and installing it.

Gerald

I thought most USB mouses are just plug and play.

I was wondering how I can install the drivers for a mouse if I can’t click things around in Angstrom? Now all I have is the desktop view and I can’t do anything or navigate around.

Thanks,
YT

Plug and play is not always the case in the Linux world. Not everything is supported. I have yet to find a mouse that does not work. I use RF mice/keyboard combos or a USB HUB and a cheap keyboard/mouse. They seem to work fine.

One more thought, make sure the mouse is plugged in before you power up. And, try and move the mouse around, and click the left mouse button. I have had a couple of instances whee the mouse pointer would not show up.

Gerald