BeagleBoard-X15 - seriously? :)

Are either of the AM5278’s PCIe ports run out to the connectors?

Yeap!

I’m just hoping that the pricing is right - this is a killer board at around 150$.
Not sure if this can replace a desktop but it sounds like a good NAS/Media server/HTPC builds though that might not be an intended application of this beast :slight_smile:

Is it the PCIe part which isn’t open source on the board?

I’m just hoping that the pricing is right - this is a killer board at around 150$.
Not sure if this can replace a desktop but it sounds like a good NAS/Media server/HTPC builds though that might not be an intended application of this beast :slight_smile:

Is it the PCIe part which isn’t open source on the board?

Imgtech, sgx 3d graphics core is closed…

So, why does TI keep using hardware that has closed source drivers ? Does TI realize this is killing their stuff in the eyes of many ppl out there ?

So, why does TI keep using hardware that has closed source drivers ? Does TI realize this is killing their stuff in the eyes of many ppl out there ?

Well it does have a Vivante GC320 2D GPU so maybe they are starting the transition…

Both PCIe ports are connected to the expansion headers.

As to TI using closed source drivers,that is the result of buying IP from other sources, something that most SOC suppliers do in one area or the other.

Gerald

Gerald, perhaps, but it is a huge disappointment to me, and I am sure to many others out there.

This board to me screams low-end x86 killer, and squarely lands in the multimedia arena. A bit much for a NAS like system if you ask me, but surely would do a great job of it.

It will be interesting to see how the USB3 drivers shape up as well.

Gerald, perhaps, but it is a huge disappointment to me, and I am sure to many others out there.

This board to me screams low-end x86 killer, and squarely lands in the multimedia arena. A bit much for a NAS like system if you ask me, but surely would do a great job of it.

With the dual dsp’s and dual m4’s, video decoding should be nice…

It will be interesting to see how the USB3 drivers shape up as well.

It’s not the classic ‘musb’ IP from a completely different manufacture.

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/usb/dwc3

Any ideas how this compares to the wandboard quad? 4x Cortex-A9 vs 2x Cortex-A15?

According to this article:

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/cortex-a15.php

Cortex-A15 performance is double that of Cortex-A9. Given that Wandboard runs at just at 1GHz and the X15 runs at 1.5GHz, I would guess that the X15 runs about 30% faster; however, the X15 has a dual 32bit bus, so the memory bandwidth is way higher. Also, the X15 also has dual C66x DSP processors, dual Cortex M4s and dual PRUs, so this board will be a screamer compared to the wandboard.

Regards,
John

I did not notice the eSATA on the specs that I’ve read so far. However assuming this board does have an eSATA port on it, does this port also support hardware, or software port multipliers ?

There is eSATA on the board. I do not know if it supports port multipliers. That would be a TI question.

Gerald

I’d be surprised if it did. I’ve been keeping up with the technology for many years now, and mostly only Silicon image ( SIL3132 most notably ) chip sets support port multiplication. However, in the last year or so I have not been keeping as close an eye on this stuff.

Id be pleasantly surprised though !

Hi,

John Syn,
Wandboard Quad does have 64 bit memory bus.

P.S. I don’t know who needs dual DSP onboard because TI definitely will not support them as should like it was for omap3/dm37. I’d better have well supported hardware video encoder/decoder rather than double general purpose DSPs without any software support

I think the feature set of the X15 is almost comparable to the
OMAP5432EVM (which AFAIR was originally planned to become
a PandaBoard 5):

http://www.svtronics.com/5432

So this seems to confirm the price range $200-400...

Do you mean there won't be any way to access and use the DSP
from Linux, or just that TI won't provide us with codecs and other
software goodies?

My understanding is that DSP Bridge and DSP Link have been
replaced by IPC 3.x (which has OMAP5 support).

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/IPC_Software_Options

I hope we'll have support for that on the new shiny board!

Laurent

P.S. I don’t know who needs dual DSP onboard because TI definitely will not
support them as should like it was for omap3/dm37. I’d better have well
supported hardware video encoder/decoder rather than double general purpose
DSPs without any software support

Do you mean there won’t be any way to access and use the DSP
from Linux, or just that TI won’t provide us with codecs and other
software goodies?

I hope we’ll have support for that on the new shiny board!

The am57xx uses the omap4 interface which is mainline as rpmsg.

The bbb sgfx is one reason why I've found the minnowboard is so
appealing. While we (my company) are using the bbb, and its a great
board, if we needed something in a higher performance range and could
float the cost we've been eyeing the minnowboard due to its fully open
graphics stack.

If the sgx was easier to get working with yocto or mainline kernels we
might think differently but we've already sunk a few weeks of effort
into getting accelerated graphics working without much success.

Chris

P.S. I don’t know who needs dual DSP onboard because TI definitely will not
support them as should like it was for omap3/dm37. I’d better have well
supported hardware video encoder/decoder rather than double general purpose
DSPs without any software support

Do you mean there won’t be any way to access and use the DSP
from Linux, or just that TI won’t provide us with codecs and other
software goodies?

I hope we’ll have support for that on the new shiny board!

The am57xx uses the omap4 interface which is mainline as rpmsg.

Did you mean OMAP5 interface? The last I looked, OMAP5 support wasn’t complete and as you know I’ve been pushing for RPMSG/REMOTEPROC support on this processor and the only feedback I received was that support wasn’t going to happened anytime soon. To me, RPMSG/REMOTEPROC and SGX should be on TI’s high priority list or as Maxim said, this processor will end up just like the DM3730; great processor without any ability to use all the features. BTW, I believe IPC3.x is SYSLINK3 which is RPMSG. Once we have RPMSG/REMOTEPROC, all the video encoding/decoding together with codecs etc should pretty simple for TI to add and that would make this a fantastic product.

Regards,
John

Please tell me that the whole MCASP port 1 & 2 are exposed on the connectors (or port 3 to 8 …)

Emmanuel.