Beagleboard xM hangs while booting : The Beagle's last words -> Uncompressing Linux...............................................

Hello,

The beagleboard xM is able to boot properly with the image that comes with the beagle (micro sd card)

However, after building a custom configuration on narcissus and trying to boot, it fails to boot i.e. nothing happens after the message
“Uncompressing Linux…”

Please note that I am powering the beagle with a 5V/2A power supply & nothing connected to USB ports on beagle.

When I connect monitor & try to boot, I see the Angstrom splash screen & the status bar updating. After around 60 %, the image vanishes and all I see is a blank screen.
The D6 & D7 LEDs blink in some non-periodic fashion.

Would really appreciate if someone can help me debug it further.

This is what I get on the gtkterm after I powerON the beagle xM:

Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.4.4ss (Jan 29 2011 - 10:54:03)

Beagle xM Rev A
Reading boot sector
Loading u-boot.bin from mmc

U-Boot 2010.03 (Jan 24 2011 - 17:28:53)

OMAP3630/3730-GP ES2.0, CPU-OPP2, L3-165MHz,
OMAP3 Beagle board + LPDDR/NAND
I2C: ready
DRAM: 512 MB
NAND: 0 MiB
*** Warning - bad CRC or NAND, using default environment

In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial

Probing for expansion boards, if none are connected you’ll see a harmless I2C error.

No EEPROM on expansion board
Beagle xM Rev A
Die ID #6c5600011ff00000015739eb0800900f
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
mmc1 is available
The user button is currently NOT pressed.
reading boot.scr

** Unable to read “boot.scr” from mmc 1:1 **
reading uImage

3195988 bytes read
Booting from mmc …

Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 80200000 …

Image Name: Angstrom/2.6.32/beagleboard
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 3195924 Bytes = 3 MB
Load Address: 80008000
Entry Point: 80008000
Verifying Checksum … OK
Loading Kernel Image … OK
OK

Starting kernel …

Uncompressing Linux…

Regards,
Tushar

Same with my xM. I have the same on my out-of-the-box Beagle on the
microsd that was in the box. Anybody?

There is an issue in the SW where it calculates the timeout on the SD card incorrectly. This results in random issues to where the kernel cannot read the SD card because it times out on accesses to the card. You can try resetting the board to see if you can get it to boot after multiple tries. You could also try creating another SD card by copying the image over to it and see if that gets you going.

http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/BeagleBoardDiagnosticsNext

You can do a search for this topic on this discussion group. I have requested this to be fixed, but to date, I have gotten no response.

Gerald

Gerald Coley wrote:

There is an issue in the SW where it calculates the timeout on the SD card incorrectly. This results in random issues to
where the kernel cannot read the SD card because it times out on accesses to the card. You can try resetting the board
to see if you can get it to boot after multiple tries. You could also try creating another SD card by copying the image
over to it and see if that gets you going.
Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.
You can do a search for this topic on this discussion group. I have requested this to be fixed, but to date, I have
gotten no response.

yes, but the kernel reads the sdcard only after uncompressing
and a lot more log messages should appear before SD card
reading fails

So, redoing the SD card would be the next thing to try. One other idea would be to make sure that you are using at least a 3A supply and running from external 5VDC.

Gerald

tushar gurjar wrote:

Hello,

The beagleboard xM is able to boot properly with the image that comes with the beagle (micro sd card)

However, after building a custom configuration on narcissus and trying to boot, it fails to boot i.e. nothing happens
after the message
"Uncompressing Linux..............................................."

Please note that I am powering the beagle with a 5V/2A power supply & nothing connected to USB ports on beagle.

what are the kernel command line arguments?

Yes, as I said 3A is what I prefer. 2A may be enough. depending on how good of a supply it is.

Gerald

I guess the bootargs is empty or console parameter is wrong.

2011/2/9 Vladimir Pantelic <vladoman@gmail.com>

I guess the bootargs is empty or console parameter is wrong.

Hello,

I am not sure of the reason, but when I booted the same image again, it worked. I have absolutely no clue as to why it didn’t work the first couple of times.
I was also wondering if it has something to do with the uSD card speeds.
Is there any specific requirement for the speed of the uSD card ? I mean considering the timeout, is it necessary to go for class 4/6/10 cards ? Currently I am using class 2 card.

Regards,
Tushar

You need at lest a class 4, however, the manufacturers use different parameters to determine the class of a card so in a way, it means very little. Overall, the higher the class number the better. In addition, the voltage is 3.15V instead of the nominal 3.3V, which is still in spec. Some cards may have issues at the lower voltage and be marginal.

Gerald

Hello,

Re. what are the kernel command line arguments?
I am relatively new to linux. how do I find that out?

Thanks & Regards,
Tushar

They are usually contained in the boot.scr script on the SD card.

Gerald

I would begin from “printenv” command in u-boot, especially if you don’t have boot.scr file (which I don’t use at all btw)

2011/2/10 Gerald Coley <gerald@beagleboard.org>

Maybe the kernel boots successfully, it just write output to a wrong tty.
New kernel use ttyO2 instead of ttyS2, modify your kernel params and have a try.
Maybe…