BeagleBoard XM: LAN9514 overheating


I am Beagle board XM user, Hobbyist.

I downloaded the Ubuntu and started using as per instructions in below page

LAN9514 IC is excessively overheating, whenever i run simple TCP Client program.

Before that i done a simple expereiment of connecting GPIO to a breadboard which contains simple Tranistor switch controlling LED ON/Off.I shorted GND of both boards

P17 Gnd pin shorted to breadboard Gnd pin. We use 5V in breadboard.

Is the IC LAN9514 broken? Is excessive over heating indicate same? Do i need to replace IC?