BeagleBone as LAN webserver for a media-heavy site

Hi everyone,

I was hoping you could give me some advice on the BeagleBone boards.

For a home project, I’m looking for something that can run a webserver that would only ever serve 1 to 3 clients at a time. The website itself is a little bit heavy though - basically it will show the client pictures and videos that are stored in an SQL database and perform some extra functions.

I was lucky enough to borrow a BeagleBone Black from a friend, and do a quick check to serve a MP4 HD video file over LAN (HTML5 video). Seemed to work OK.

Unfortunately I do not have time to set up and try out the entire website (which also has some php server-side scripting going on, doing queries on the SQL database, fetching lots of thumbnails to preview media files, etc). On top of all that, the Bone would be running a (very simple) Python server application that listens on a socket and forwards HTTP requests to some USB device connected to it.

The video result was encouraging, but I have no clue what to expect performance-wise from the Bone when it’s confronted with all the stuff listed above. I understand it’s hard to say based on this brief explanation, but I was wondering whether you could do an educated guess: is this too much for the Beagle boards, or should they be able to handle this alright?

Thank you very much!

The only way you’re going to know is if you set it up and test. I am thinking if it can handle your HD video that it should do just fine.

Thanks for replying. I guess you’re right - I can never know for sure until I try.

Still, if there’s anyone out there who’s used the Black as a webserver and found it to be insufficient, I would be interested to know what it choked on for comparison.