Beaglebone black edit default am335x-boneblack.dts device tree

I need to modify the default configuration of pinmuxing on the BBB. To do so i’m trying to modify the am335x-boneblack.dts before recompiling the kernel. But that file is very awkward. I’ve only found information about overlay, but i need this to be default not overlay.

I’ve tried to write my one am335x-boneblack.dts, deleted every things related to HDMI, modified the include to am335x-bone-common-no-capemgr.dtsi :

`

/*
 * Copyright (C) 2012 Texas Instruments Incorporated - http://www.ti.com/

I’ve had that part in the .dts :

`

&ocp{
    torout: torout  {
        pinctrl-names = "default";
        pinctrl-0 = <&tor_output_pins>;
        status = "okay";
    };

torin: torin    {
        pinctrl-names = "default";
        pinctrl-0 = <&tor_input_pins>;
        status = "okay";
    };
};

`

I think i’m close to get this work but I’ve probably missed something … any idea ?

I’ve replace the last part I added (&ocp…) by Nelson’s advice on this post : https://groups.google.com/d/msg/beagleboard/iW4i-xy9zJw/JFrr5M9_IwAJ

&gpio3 { torout0 { gpio-hog; gpios = <107 0>; output-low; line-name = "TOR input"; }; };

Just trying for 1 pin but still the same output no change …

I had trouble (viz. gave up) working with input pins with the device tree. I ended up doing all the init at run time (once I’d made sure nothing else was using the same pins in the device tree).
Check that you have removed any reference to the HDMI in your ‘am335x-bone-common-no-capemgr.dtsi’ file. I had to remove a ‘status = “okay”’ from the standard '‘am335x-bone-common.dtsi’, not sure if this is the same in the ‘no cape’ variant.

For BBB expansion header P9, pin 23 (GPIO 1_17), AKA pin 49, I do the following to intialise an input for use as a switch:

echo “49” > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo in > /sys/class/gpio/gpio49/direction

echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio49/active_low

To read in the state I then use:
head -1 /sys/class/gpio/gpio49/value

e.g., in a script, use:

SWITCH=$(head -1 /sys/class/gpio/gpio49/value)

if [ ${SWITCH} = “1” ]; then

fi

For outputs I use the ‘standard’ led interface, as already used in the BBB device tree for the heartbeat/mmc leds.
e.g., with the pnmux as you have done, add something like the following to the ‘leds’ section in the common dtsi file:

led@6 {
label = “my_led”;
gpios <&gpio1 16 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>;
linux,default-trigger = “none”;
default-state = “off”;
};

Then set the output state as follows:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/leds.4/leds/my_led/value

Hope that helps.
Andrew.

Thanks for your answer Andrew but I need that the board setup correctly the pin at boot time (to avoid any trouble in the time elapsed between the DTB is load and the kernel is ready).
I’m actually facing a strange thing, 1st the number I used to set gpio3_21 was wrong : gpio = <107 0>; This call require the GPIO number on the bank and not the PIN number. So using : gpio = <21 0>; I end up with that result :

`
root@arm:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/gpio
GPIOs 0-31, platform/44e07000.gpio, gpio:
gpio-6 (cd ) in hi IRQ

GPIOs 32-63, platform/4804c000.gpio, gpio:
gpio-53 (? ) out lo
gpio-54 (? ) out lo
gpio-55 (? ) out hi
gpio-56 (? ) out lo

GPIOs 64-95, platform/481ac000.gpio, gpio:

GPIOs 96-127, platform/481ae000.gpio, gpio:
gpio-117 (TOR input ) out lo
root@arm:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/gpio
GPIOs 0-31, platform/44e07000.gpio, gpio:
gpio-6 (cd ) in hi IRQ

GPIOs 32-63, platform/4804c000.gpio, gpio:
gpio-53 (? ) out hi
gpio-54 (? ) out lo
gpio-55 (? ) out hi
gpio-56 (? ) out lo

GPIOs 64-95, platform/481ac000.gpio, gpio:

GPIOs 96-127, platform/481ae000.gpio, gpio:
gpio-117 (TOR input ) out lo
`

So this is nice because that’s means my DTB is correctly loaded, but the pinmux register didn’t change :

root@arm:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/pinctrl/44e10800.pinmux/pins|grep 9ac pin 107 (44e109ac.0) 00000027 pinctrl-single

0x27 means the register is set to INPUT | MODE7 … Why ??? The gpio setup and his register differ … Can this cause me any trouble ? Or should I ignore it ? Is it a problem from my pinctrl,pin setup in the DTB ?

Hello, I think I had a similar issue, and I would like to report it as well:

If you set a gpio configuration with the dto the kernel correctly loads it, but when you export one gpio from that peripheral for the first time, the kernel reset the configuration. I solved this by running a script on boot that exports the first GPIO for every peripheral and this actually solves this problem.
I think is an issue of the kernel