BeagleBone Black needs to reboot in order to recognize the external HDD connected on the usb port

Hello guys,
First of all I am running Debian distribution on BBB from the official site.

The BBB has 5V/1A power source. When I try to connect external HDD to the USB port, the HDD is not spinning at all it looks like there is no power coming from the BBB USB port.

root@beaglebone:~# ls /dev/sd*
ls: cannot access /dev/sd*: No such file or directory

This is happening only until I restart the BBB board (and in case not to unplug the HDD). No power comes from the USB port until I restart the board with connected device (Not even charging the phone).

What I am trying to do is to plug the HDD and see the device in /dev/ without rebooting every time I connect a device. (For example I have 3 external HDD drives).

usb hotplug is hit and mis with v3.8.x.

Either upgrade to v3.14.x or make sure your drive is plugged in before power on.

Regards,

The BBB has 5V/1A power source. When I try to connect external HDD to the USB port, the HDD is not spinning at all it looks like there is no power coming from the BBB USB port.

Aside from what Robert says, You do realize that a standard HDD can take up to 2A at 12v when it first spins up ? External HDD needs its own power supply . . .