Beaglebone black Wifi setup problem

John, being that he is a student and working on a project assigned to him by his professor. He may not have any option. He may not be allowed to use a virtual machine.

I could say that any OS is only as good as the user using it. So in this context when you ( or any one for that matter ) says that “Windows sucks”. This tells me they do not understand how Windows works, or how to use it. Windows definitely is not without it’s flaws, but which OS has none ? Hint: they all have flaws, and ALL can be rooted, work improperly, or generally be a pain in the backside if we do not take the time to learn how to use them properly. Then if we don’t, does this mean the OS is at fault ?

Windows works perfectly fine as a desktop, and in many cases as a workstation. Market share alone should speak volumes.But in the end it is just another closed source OS, that costs money, with millions of users that just want to use it, while not having to learn how it works.

Your points of interest are also moot. If you know a potential issue exists, deal with it. Don’t complain about it.

Don’t take me so seriously. I was just poking a little fun for giving instructions on how to develop Linux solutions with Windows.

Cristian,

Sure, use what you feel most comfortable with. Personally, I do use Windows( Win 7 x64 ultimate ) as my own primary desktop / workstation system, and find it very useful for many things. However there are times that I need Linux, so I do run Debian in a virtual machine as a support system( on a different host ).

Personally, I do not like many OSes, and Linux distro’s for my own reasons. But I will not presume to tell people what they can / should use for their own purposes.

Anyhow, I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to Windows so if you have any very specific questions I may very well know the answer. Just keep in mind that I obviously don’t know everything, and I have very limited hands on with what you’re trying to achieve. I do know that network connection sharing works reasonably well once you get it setup correctly. So that should not be much of a problem.

Thank you very much for your support William, if i have any problems i will contact you ( hopefully without being too pesky :slight_smile: ). Anyway i imagine i will be visiting the forum often these days in order to get the beaglebone to work with what i need. I am very glad that i am using a platform that has so much support.

Regards,

Cristian

Yeah, you get and use a serial debug cable, then log in via puTTY, or preferred ssh client. This assumes:

1. the Debian image used has ttyO0 setup properly.

2. All the drivers / software packages for wifi needed are already installed.

3. The Debian image used has openssh-server( or other applicable ssh server ) setup and running.

Sorry to keep posting and semi side tracking the post here but this i posted above is semi wrong. SO in case someone else is trying to glean useful information off of my post here.

What I mean is that using Windows as a host system, an FTDI serial<->USB or similar device will present its self as a COM( serial ) device in hardware manager. puTTY can also communicate using this serial connection ( but not all ssh clients can ). I think Paralax made a similar app for Windows that does communicate via serial only.

I probably had 500 other things on my mind the time i made this post. Sorry about that. But points #1, and #2 are still valid.

Don’t worry about it this can help get my debian up and running so it’s ok. Almost finished with the board design so i can get to work on beagle.

Yes but even if i were to use the ethernet connection itself , beacuse of the internet connection types around here it would be really hard to get internet through it.