Beaglebone Black won't power on, did I do something wrong? :(

I tried it, but the Power LED does not light, all the LEDs are off…

Sounds like the board may have gotten zapped. Leave it unplugged for 30 minutes, all cables, and try it again. If is still does not work, then you will need to get it looked at.

Gerald

I did as you said, but nothing works :frowning:

Ok. Then you need to get it looked at.

http://beagleboard.org/Support/RMA

Gerald

ok! thanks to everyone for the help

I have a device that I’m building in quantity for someone, and it has a simple halfwave rectifier and switching reg to provide 5V to power the BBB. They power it with 24VAC.

I’m not sure what exactly is causing it, but they’re having problems with the BBBs dying on them. I got one back today, and I get a single quick dim flash of the power LED if I plug in USB, or rapid flashing if I use the barrel jack. After seeing this post, I noticed that there’s a burnt crater on the processor.

I was originally thinking power problems, but now I’m starting to think IO misuse.

These boards use primarily I2C, and the BBB is driving a couple of I2C peripherals for sensors and solenoid control. Additionally, I fanned out eight GPIO to connectors which are for future use for PWM to run light dimmers and switch inputs, but they’re not supported yet. I just found out that they had the PWM lines hooked up, and I don’t yet know what they had connected to them.

A schematic would be helpful/ You can send to to me direct if you like.

Craters are definitely not good. It does sound like a IO stress issue. The LED acting the way it sounds means the PMIC is seeing excess current and shutting down.

Gerald

I’m starting to piece together that it was likely some kind of major ground potential difference issue. He hooked up the light dimmers without a ground because the dimmers don’t provide a specific ground line next to the dimmer line, and the dimmers are powered off of some power supply running from 277VAC, and my board is powered off a 120->24VAC isolated transformer where one leg is the local digital ground, and without referencing them together somehow I imagine he put some really ugly potentials on the IO pins.

If that was the situation it definitely could have caused an issue.

Gerald

Hey Will,
I too face same problem on my BBB. Can you please tell me how you solved the issue? RMA on beagleboard.org isn’t responding, whom should I aproach?

OK. So I responded to your RMA. We are closed on the weekend. Sorry. And Friday was a US holiday. Sorry again.

Your RMA will be approved. Only solution is to replace the processor.

Gerald

Thank you and sorry about my time zone I didn’t know it was a holiday.

Gerald, who responded to my message, will likely respond to you as well. The BBB is a great board but it does seem to be very susceptible to getting fried. I have had two visit the Beagle Hospital. I can only suggest that posting here in hopes that Gerald gets back to you…

Regards,
Will

Yes, it can get fried if you don’t press the power button and allow the PMIC to shut down the power rails in order…

Gerald

Gerald, who responded to my message, will likely respond to you as well. The BBB is a great board but it does seem to be very susceptible to getting fried. I have had two visit the Beagle Hospital. I can only suggest that posting here in hopes that Gerald gets back to you…

It is only “susceptible” if you operate the board outside it’s specification and this is true of any board with direct access to the processor I/O. If you take the necessary static precautions and don’t put more than 3v3 on the GPIO and 1v8 on the A/D pins, the board will work without issue. I have two of the original BBB A5A which I use daily and they have worked without issue.

Regards,
John

I seem to have fried it too and Im planning on sending it for RMA. The only issue that I have right now is the the serial number smudged off the sticker...any recommendations?

Hi,

I updated the Angstrom Distribution 2013-09-04 image on my BBB. The process seem to run well. After it ended, I get the SD card out from the BBB, and restarted it, with plugging in again the BBB via USB. But then only the power led lits, and nothing else.
I’ve repeated the process many times, even with Debian 2014-05-04, but the result is the same.

Could anyone help me?

Thanks,
Ben

1. április 30., kedd 14:19:57 UTC+2 időpontban Jason Stapels a következőt írta:

Hi,

I think I also fried my BBB.
No led light when powered, either with USB or jack.

Can I request a RMA from Portugal?What would be the expected cost?

Thanks
Bruno

You can request an RMA from anywhere. I suggest that you do that. Cost would be mainly the shipping cost to us.

Gerald

I plugged a USB WiFi adapter into my BeagleBone Black and it abruptly stopped working and will not turn on. I have been very careful with the board, but I assume that somehow the WiFi adapter drew too much current and fried the processor. I tried multiple power sources, including powered USB hubs and 5V DC. I held down the power button and reset button for a long time, but no luck. It's too bad because I was making a lot of progress. My board says Element14 and has two stickers on it- does Element14 handle RMA requests the same as beaglebone.org?